VCD question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob TT, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

If my DVD player supports VCD, that meens it should play an mpeg 1 right?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

VCDs have a specific file structure, and their MPEG-1 has specific parameters for bitrate and so forth. So a player that plays VCDs may play a disc with the same file structure, but with non-VCD-compliant MPEG-1s, or it may not. It will probably not play a disc with just some MPEG-1s on it.

//Ken

4. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

I ask this because a few months ago, I purchesed a Apex 20" flatscreen with a built in DVD player. I popped in a data CD that had some mpeg 1's on it, and it played them perfectly. I just bought a samsung that plays VCD's and everything else, and it wont play the same disk. I have read that there is problems with the samsung that I bought though.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I would say that feature of the Apex is the exception, not the rule, at least for now.

What kind of control do you have on the Apex? Do the next/previous track buttons switch to the next file? What if the CD has a mix of MP3 audio and MPEG-1 video? What if the files are in subdirectories?

A DVD player has to be able to read discs and decode MPEG, so it's not much of a stretch to blindly play every file it sees. But it may not be a polished feature.

//Ken

6. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I would say that the Apex is the exception not the rule. Those things seem to play anything you stick in them.