What's new

VCD question (1 Viewer)

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
If my DVD player supports VCD, that meens it should play an mpeg 1 right?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
If my DVD player supports VCD, that meens it should play an mpeg 1 right?
i doubt it. mpeg1 is the video format for vcd, but if you put the vcd in a cdrom drive, you will notice the video is in the format of a .dat file, in the mpegav folder. so if i am understanding your question correctly, no it wont, at least i seriously doubt it. i am assuming you are asking if your dvd player will play mpeg1 files off a straight data cd that wasnt burned as a vcd. if anyone has any more info, please contribute.

CJ

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
VCDs have a specific file structure, and their MPEG-1 has specific parameters for bitrate and so forth. So a player that plays VCDs may play a disc with the same file structure, but with non-VCD-compliant MPEG-1s, or it may not. It will probably not play a disc with just some MPEG-1s on it.

//Ken

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
I ask this because a few months ago, I purchesed a Apex 20" flatscreen with a built in DVD player. I popped in a data CD that had some mpeg 1's on it, and it played them perfectly. I just bought a samsung that plays VCD's and everything else, and it wont play the same disk. I have read that there is problems with the samsung that I bought though.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I would say that feature of the Apex is the exception, not the rule, at least for now.

What kind of control do you have on the Apex? Do the next/previous track buttons switch to the next file? What if the CD has a mix of MP3 audio and MPEG-1 video? What if the files are in subdirectories?

A DVD player has to be able to read discs and decode MPEG, so it's not much of a stretch to blindly play every file it sees. But it may not be a polished feature.

//Ken

Luke_Y

Second Unit
I would say that the Apex is the exception not the rule. Those things seem to play anything you stick in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks