VCD Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ike, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Hi,

I've been using Nero to burn VCD's, and at best it's spotty-sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I'm checking them out on 2 seperate DVD players that play VCDs, so I'm assuming it's the way they are burning.

Lately, it's not been working at all. I've wasted 4 CD'rs trying to get them to burn. I have it set to NTSC, and I let Nero encode the videos. I also make sure that the session is closed.

Does anyone know what my problem is? Furthermore, does anyone know of any good VCD burning software for download?

Thanks.

2. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Nero has never failed me.
    I gleaned all from the VCD Help website.
    I have found a brand of CD-R's and have stuck to it. Prime Peripherals with the same thing witten on the inner ring. Can't remember offhand but vcd help talks about the manufacturer.
    I do have the Nero add on if that matters.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I don't use Nero for encoding, I use TMPGEnc and it works flawlessly for me.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    jasen is right about tmpegenc, its a great encoder. best free one out there, and better than a lot of the pay ones. i'd like to add something though. while this may not be your problem, i think its important to say. if you encode a non-standard vcd, (anything besides 320x240 or 352x240 resolution is non-standard) and you try to burn it with nero, nero will ask you if you want to re-encode the file. dont do this, as you are essentially un-doing the work tmpegenc has done. personally, all my vcd backups are in 528x480 format, and squeezed to 528x348 to see the proper aspect ratio. nero will burn this, and you will see it properly.

5. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I also use TMPGEnc to do my encoding, awesome program. I also use VCDeasy to do all my burning, I love being able to put chapters into my VCD's.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Try playing the VCDs using player software on the computer. If it plays them, it could be the DVD player has a problem reading the CD-R. Try another kind of disc that uses a different dye and backing.

320x240 is not a standard size. There are also restrictions on bitrate and other stuff.

Stick with standard VCDs while trying to troubleshoot the problem. You might also check whether your player reads CD-RW (copy some audio CDs) so that it won't matter if you make coasters; but you do have to make sure that it reads them reliably, otherwise you'd be chasing another point of failure.

//Ken

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

8. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Okay, I used TMPGenc to encode the files, and Nero didn't bring up a single box. I switched CDR's-from Memorex to Verbatim.

I burned a mixture of pictures and video clips. In both of my standalone DVD players, it would load, then say No Disc, which is unusual. Usually, it would load and load, and then would say cannot play disc.

However, I played the VCD fine on my DVD rom. The pictures and the clips came out exact when playing back on WinDVD.

What does this mean? I'm using VCD's as an easy way of recording this stuff to tape...from the computer to a VCD, which I record onto a VHS tape.

I've got a ton of video game systems, and was told that some of them could play VCD's, but it turns out only after you add aftermarket parts.

So, does this mean that it is my DVD players? Could it still be the VCD?

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If Nero did not complain, it was probably compliant with VCD standards. Then it played OK on your computer, although WinDVD might be more relaxed about the standards.

Try copying some of your audio CDs onto CD-R and see if those will play. If not, it is definitely that the player cannot read that particular kind of CD-R. It might not be able to read any of them.

You might also try CD-RW. They are more physically similar to DVD. (Conversely, regular CD players are more likely to read CD-R than CD-RW.)

//Ken

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Okay, I burned it to a CD-RW. Same story-worked on my DVD-Rom, not on my stand-alone DVD players. Argh.

There's a more time consuming partial answer-I can add the clips to my video editor, let the program (slowly) make them compatible (high resolution AVI), then dump them off on my camcorder, which I can record onto a tape.

Tha main problem is, I don't know what to do with the pictures. They are kind of integral to what I'm doing. Also, this method is really slow-the buffer, then recording them onto the camcorder, then recording onto a tape, then erasing them off the camcorder. If I've got 45 minutes of video, that's really time consuming.

Anybody have a solution?

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Did you try the audio CD-R?

//Ken