What's new

VCD like disc for laserdisc player? (1 Viewer)

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I know you can burn VCD's and SVCD's and they will play on a DVD player, is there any similar type of disc that you can burn that is playable on a laserdisc player?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Most Laser Disc players play CDV, not VCD. CDV is Compact Disc Video, which is basically the same format as a laserdisc, as in, analog video, recorded onto the smaller CD sized disc. VCD's on the otherhand, contain digitally encoded video that is only playable on something with a decoder. As far as I recall, most LD players don't do this. There are exceptions, particularly the 700, 909, 919 and 91 Pioneers. I think because they played DVD's, they could also play VCD's but I could be mistaken.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Is there some way to create our own CDV discs and play them in our LD players?

YANG

Screenwriter
"Many LD players will play VCD"

JEFF,
You are partially right.
Actually laserdisc players that plays VCDs are mostly the last generation models before the end of laserdisc format.

Earlier generation models are not compatible with VCDs.

"I know you can burn VCD's and SVCD's and they will play on a DVD player"
CHRIS,
You are partially right too.
Due to the popularity of multi-region collection and usage,most DVDplayers are hackable into multi-region.During these modifications,some of the hacks will disable VCD/SVCD playback because of the firmware conflict.
Some un-hackable/unhacked players do not play VCD/SVCDs at all.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
SVCD's just use low-bitrate Mpeg-2 files, so I don't see why the player would distinguish it apart from a regular DVD.

Nevertheless, i'm interested in what laserdisc players can play... DVD players are a dime a dozen now a days.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
SVCD's just use low-bitrate Mpeg-2 files, so I don't see why the player would distinguish it apart from a regular DVD.
You'd think that wouldn't you? But when the DVD player goes looking at the disc, it sees a CD instead of a DVD, and locks itself into CD mode. Therefore, it's expecting CDA, VCD, or SVCD, NOT DVD, and it barfs on it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks