VCD compatible LD players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Vidal, May 5, 2002.

1. Joe Vidal

Joe Vidal Extra

Are there any LD players that can play back VCD's?

I did a basic search here and found out that CDV and VCD are completely different...but I was wondering if there are any LD players with that feature.

I own a Pioneer CLD-504 (since 7/95) and have had no major problems with it.....although recently I had the disc-tray loading snag that just required a quick open, then close to properly load the LD. This may be due to the DVD player that now sits on top of it. (I read that post here as well...great forum)

I apologize if this was covered elsewhere ( I did only a basic search) but if anyone has info please post.

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The only players that MIGHT play VCD's as well as LD's and CDV's are combi DVD/LD players like the Pioneer DVL700, 919 and 91. Just a guess, but if any player will play those, it would likely be a combi dvd/ld player.

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

as Chris said, the only LD players that will play VCDs are the combo DVD/LD players from Pioneer. Since VCD uses MPEG-1 compression for audio and video, there's no chance a strictly LD player is going to be able to play it

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm sure that some of the more high end karaoke LD players, particularly the Japanese models, will play VCDs. However, none of the standard "mass market" LD players will except perhaps the LD/DVD combo units.

5. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

6. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

7. Mark McAlister

Mark McAlister Stunt Coordinator

Add the Pioneer DVL-909 to that list which is also a LD/DVD combo unit.