What's new

VCD compatible LD players? (1 Viewer)

Joe Vidal

Grip
Are there any LD players that can play back VCD's?

I did a basic search here and found out that CDV and VCD are completely different...but I was wondering if there are any LD players with that feature.

I own a Pioneer CLD-504 (since 7/95) and have had no major problems with it.....although recently I had the disc-tray loading snag that just required a quick open, then close to properly load the LD. This may be due to the DVD player that now sits on top of it. (I read that post here as well...great forum)

I apologize if this was covered elsewhere ( I did only a basic search) but if anyone has info please post.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The only players that MIGHT play VCD's as well as LD's and CDV's are combi DVD/LD players like the Pioneer DVL700, 919 and 91. Just a guess, but if any player will play those, it would likely be a combi dvd/ld player.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
as Chris said, the only LD players that will play VCDs are the combo DVD/LD players from Pioneer. Since VCD uses MPEG-1 compression for audio and video, there's no chance a strictly LD player is going to be able to play it

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that some of the more high end karaoke LD players, particularly the Japanese models, will play VCDs. However, none of the standard "mass market" LD players will except perhaps the LD/DVD combo units.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I'm sure that some of the more high end karaoke LD players, particularly the Japanese models, will play VCDs. However, none of the standard "mass market" LD players will except perhaps the LD/DVD combo units.

Nope !

Those units play CD+G discs (Compact Discs + Graphics) which are completely different than Video CD. CD+G discs died out early on and only a few were released. They enabled very basic graphics in addition to the redbook audio.

Some of my mid-80s audio CDs like Information Society and Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits had the CD+G encoding. You could play them on CD+G capable players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks