VBulletin Slowdowns

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Cappelletty, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Okay, so I know I'm probably in the minority, but as I have a dialup connection (such is the life of living in an apartment...), VBulletin -- while certainly more versatile and stable -- has been egregiously slow, particuarly when aceessing individual forums for the first time-- it hangs while everything loads which can take up to a minute. The new board freezes my browser (Netscape Communicator 4.78 for Mac) whenever I open a new window and I have to wait for that to load instead of having it load in the background like it did with the old system. Some threads cut off before the "first new post" so I have to continually hit "Reload" to read to the end. If I try to go forward or backward to read other pages that I've accessed from the same browser window, it often doesn't "read" it or clicks too far, taking me two or three pages back.

It may just be me or my browser, but things seem slower instead of faster on this new board.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mark:

That is odd because the majority of the dial up users are the ones that see the best increase in speed over what UBB had due to the compression using glib and mod gzip. It sounds to me like an issue with Netscape on the Mac for you and how the pages are loaded into your browser.

Also, you might want to check out AVS Forum and vBulletin.com and see if they are slowed down for you too as they use the same software.

Parker

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Or you could just upgrade your browser to IE 5 for the mac.

4. Mike Meeks

Mike Meeks Auditioning

I was having the same problem until I recently upgraded to IE6. The banners/forum before upgrade loaded slower than you know what.