JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is there any code that lets you move an image a bit to the right without any visible text to the left of it. This is for a thread I have been discussing with Parker.

Thanks.

John

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also, is there any code for writing a block of text next to an image rather than just one line?

Thanks.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
To indent one "tab" to the right you can use the LIST and /LIST commands (enclosed in square brackets of course).
  • example
Or instead you can center your text in whatever the available window size is using the C and /C commands.
[c]example[/c]
I don't know anything about the 2nd post request, other than just adding room at the side of the graphic using a paint program, and writing the text into that extra area.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks, David.

Fortunately, the center code also works for images, which is really what I want. I have a feeling if I want to put a box of text next to an image I will have to make a GIF graphic of the text. Kind of a hassle.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

You can do this with tables too but I really don't want a bunch of tables being used in the body of messages.

Parker

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Parker,

This is just for the one particular thread and, of course, would only be in a few posts. Tables would be nice, but I think centering the images and writing above and below them will work just fine. Besides, I'm sure if I used tables just a couple times, you would start seeing them everywhere. If you don't have a problem with this being done this select time, please let me know the code. Feel free to e-mail it if you like. Sorry to be such a pain. I just want this to look good.

John

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Parker:

I have read several times that you don't like tables to be used, and the reasons why. I understand them.

I've thought that using tables would enhance the look and usefulness of the "Weekly Roundup" posts I create.

On the other hand, I 1) Don't have a clue what the coding syntax is for tables, and have no way to find examples of it to learn from or instructions as to how to use it (and I've looked!), and 2) I'm not sure how much harder it would make to create the weekly posts if I went to this more complicated system.

Perhaps if you thought the Weekly Roundup could benefit from me using tables, you and I could discuss through private e-mails. That is, if you think it would not use too many resources and be too much of an encouragement for others to use the tables!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
David,
Tables can be helpful if used sparingly. The problem is, inexperienced people add tables and don't close the code properly, and it ends up mucking up the formatting for the actual threads.
Here are some posts which used tables effectively:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=3140
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...570#post439570
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=38316
Take a look at those and see if you think that formatting like those might help your round up posts. I can help you with code syntax if you'd like- then you could just plug in the template and edit it for new posts.
-V

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Vince,

The first link is exactly what I want to do. An image with text next to it. If you could explain that code, I would appreciate it.

I also have a copy of the original Heathers DVD if you still want to trade something.

Thanks,

John

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Vince, the 3rd post is one I've seen before, which led me to want to use tables for the Roundup.
So I did some searches on the word "table", "tables", etc., which led me to Parker's posts that he prefers they not be used. Hence, my hesitation.
That 3rd post is EXACTLY the sort of thing I want to do with the Roundup, with elements of the 2nd post on occassion.
As for my ability to close the code properly: I program in PL/SQL routinely as part of my job. I hope I can close code by now! :D I wouldn't worry too hard about that.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
David,

I deducted from you post above that you don't know HTML (since table code is essentially lesson 2), and figured I'd make sure to be clear on the "closing code" issue. That is why Parker frowns on Tables, because too often he's forced to fix bad tables that are mucking up the pages.

So my advice to anyone would be, if you're completely unsure how to use table code, simply don't.

BUt if you do- here's one tip that will save you headaches:

For some reason, if you put in hard returns inbetween the code characters, they all add up as lines above the table (don't know why, some odd VBscript issue).

So you have to make all the code on one "line":

{TR}

{TD}INSERT IMAGE TAG HERE{/TD}

{TD}INSERT TEXT HERE{/TD}

{/TR}

becomes:

{TR}{TD}INSERT IMAGE TAG HERE{/TD}{TD}INSERT TEXT HERE{/TD}{/TR}

[obviously the { become < ]

-Vince

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wait. This is the HTML tables coding that we're talking about?
I thought A) it had to be some vBulletin Code version along the lines of Tables and /Tables, because B) I thought HTML code like that was disabled from being used in HTF posts.
I'm self-taught on HTML, so I don't know about it being "lesson 2" or anything. But I HAVE used tables before, and I learn fast. :)
If you want to send me some example code to disassemble, then it will help me out as I'll have an exact example to follow. The sample above, along with it's warnings, surely isn't all there is to it. I definately appreciate the heads up, though, as I'd have no way to know that vB is messed up with the carriage returns.
If you guys want, I can send my "finished product" to you for checking before posting anything, even in the Test section.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The sample above, along with it's warnings, surely isn't all there is to it.
Uh, pretty much, it is.

If you know HTML code for tables- then you're all set. VB has no table code that I'm aware of, so you use HTML.

IF you want to post a test in the test area and send me a link, I'd be happy to check it out.

-V

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Guys:

Like I said above. I prefer that you didn't use tables in the forum. Having said that if you can email me what it is that you are wanting to use so I can look it over I would appreciate it.

Parker

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Sure Parker, I'll send you the test code. It may be a few days before I get a chance to work it up, so don't feel like anything's too impending.

Thanks.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David and John:

I appreciate you sending me the coding that you want to use instead of posting it on the forum.

Thanks,

Parker

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Parker, Vince: Test Code is about to be on-the-way. Watch your mailboxes for it!
edit: I ought to point out that I learned HTML out of a book back in 1995. The book is old enough that it only discusses tables as part of the "proposed HTML+ standard that has not yet been adopted by the industry". This is OLD, man! The book doesn't mention IE as a factor at all; it goes on and on about NetScape, with mention of Mosaic and the really ancient text-only "browser" called Lynx, which I'm probably the only one around here who's actually seen!
So if you find any fault, don't think I'll be embarrassed if you guys just say so...I realize this is pretty iffy! :D

Users who are viewing this thread