What's new

Various thoughts about NEWS from the WB Chat! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
So many requests, so little time.

Other titles I wished someone would've mentioned (but hey WB, if you're listening):

Damn Yankees (think this is tied up in legal woes)

Elvis Presley MGM Catalog

Don't Make Waves (great late 60's Tony Curtis flick)

Also, there are a number of great laser disc sets comprised of films under Warner's control like (The Dawn Of Sound, Forbidden Hollywood and The Busby Berkeley Disc) that I would love WB to possibly re-release or re-vamp for DVD. Since they have made an incredible turnaraound in respecting classic films (how about the news on Treasure Of Sierra Madre and The Adventures Of Robin Hood, eh?), I'm thinking anything is possible at this point.

Jeffrey

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
DaVid, not to sound snippy, but if there is an issue with Warner's that you felt needed addressed, you could have, well...shown up for the chat. Why oh why do people get upset a question wasn't asked when they didn't participate in the chat themselves? I have a piddly dial-up connection in Nowhere, Kansas, and I never have an issue getting a question asked.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
There was so much great news in that chat, but I want to use this post to say THANK YOU Warner Bros. for

16x9 20th Anniversary Christmas Story special edition
16x9 Christmas Vacation

I will be expecting a Little Orphan Annie Decorder Ring to be included in that Christmas Story set. ;)

Even with all the great news I still have to say,
Lose the snapper! :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
DaVid, not to sound snippy, but if there is an issue with Warner's that you felt needed addressed, you could have, well...shown up for the chat.
No could do...I had no access to a computer last night during the chat. What would have been nice is if we could have email privately some questions we hoped to see asked to someone on the forum who could "collect" questions w/out WB reading them ahead of time and then, near the end of the chat if some important issues hadn't been addressed...mention them on behalf of those who could not participate.

In any case...1.66:1 16x9 encoding is the last big issues (along with 448 DD and DTS) facing WB and MGM as far as mastering quality goes...and it's just a bummer that no one who was able to attend the chat thought to mention it...

Of course, none of this makes me less joyous about getting a chance to buy a 16x9 version of A Christmas Story! ;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
What would have been nice is if we could have email privately some questions we hoped to see asked to someone on the forum who could "collect" questions w/out WB reading them ahead of time and then, near the end of the chat if some important issues hadn't been addressed...mention them on behalf of those who could not participate.
That could solve the problem if the owners permit it. But considering the policy about questions before a chat......

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I wonder if there is a way to have a "legend box" in one of the corners(or something) and it could list all titles mentioned.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
have a piddly dial-up connection in Nowhere, Kansas, and I never have an issue getting a question asked.
Isn't Salina, Kansas where the Kim Novak character in Vertigo comes from?

Anyhow, I wish there had been talk of Bringing Up Baby and The Last of Sheila ; I totally forgot about the chat until I saw the transcript.

Ah, well.....

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
That could solve the problem if the owners permit it. But considering the policy about questions before a chat......
Yes...but that policy is only there bcs they don't want WB to read the questions ahead of time which is why they don't allow threads for posting questions ahead of time. It has nothing to do with people who won't be able to attend the chat not being allowed to communicate the issues with each other they'd like to see mentioned per se. If one member who couldn't be present for the chat PMed, emailed, or called another who had said that they were and said "hey...if no one mentions it...could you ask blah blah blah if you have time?" they would be violating no policy.

If someone on the forum was appointed as "question collector" then people could PM him/her their questions and he/she could distill them to streamline the list. niether WB nor any other HTFer would have any way to know what questions were being collected...so no spontenaity either on the part of WB *or* on the part of the HTFrs asking questions during the chat would be affected in the slightest.

Then, near the end of the chat, this appointed absentee-rep could chime in and say "before we close the chat...there are a few questions that some members wished asked that we never had a chance to get to...let me present some of them very quickly..."

It doesn't mean every question will get air time...there's simply not enough time for that to happen anyway. But it would go a long way to making sure that any key issues that have been included in the list might stand a better chance of getting addressed before the chat closes after every one participating has had their chance to ask their questions.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
PEOPLE! Apart from all the great announcements of classics and simply awesome Tom & Jerry news, I am ecstatic and dancing nude a la David Lambert because the Police Academy movies "are on their way"! I hope that WB realizes that they have special features readily available in the form of deleted scenes that were reinstated into TV versions. A boxset of 1-7, anamorphic with trailers is the least they can do :D

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news, I've been waiting for Yankee Doodle Dandy and Treasure of the Sierra Madre for a long time. Great news about Freaks, Christmas Story, Cagney, Bogart, Lewton, silents, and Loony Tunes

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm am absolutely ecstatic about many of these releases. I'm going to go broke buying the following

Every Looney Tunes release
Every Tom & Jerry release
Christmas Story SE
All Vacation SEs (Maybe not Vegas)
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
To Have and Have Not
Robin Hood SE
Casablanca SE
Freaks
Every Hithcock release
Every Marx Bros release
Every Val Lewton release
+ majority of all other classics (Cagney, Davis, etc..)
I'm sure that there are several others that I forgot.

Thanks WB.

In case you're reading this thread, I couldn't make the chat, so here's what I would have asked for.

Bringing Up Baby and all remaining Howard Hawks's films
Film Noir! Film Noir! Film Noir!
Talking Heads Video compilation
King Kong

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
The best news was about Looney Tunes. I am glad they are aiming those at animation fans.
I'm glad I asked! I only wish I remembered to ask if they had plans to release Whose Line Is It Anyway? on DVD. (The US version...I don't think they have anything to do with the UK version.)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
For those of you who are wondering what will be on the Vacation SE DVD, it says on IGN DVD that there will be a Harold Ramis commentary and a Chevy Chase commentary, possibly with Anthony Michael Hall, Dana Barron and Beverly D'Angelo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks