Vanishing Point - any reviews

Discussion in 'DVD' started by LarryDavenport, Feb 9, 2004.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I will be picking this up tomorrow but I'm surprised I haven't seen any threads on this release.

2. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

The subject has been discussed from time to time, but I don't think there's a great deal of interest in this title.

I pre-ordered a copy this weekend, for what it's worth.

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Too bad-- it's a great movie and supposed to be a top-notch DVD, with two cuts of the film and a director's commentary. Not bad for a budget-line $14.95 MSRP title!

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i've had the disc for a couple weeks now.
    PQ is good but not great.
    print looks to be good but the disc overall has a somewhat 'digital' appearence to me with visible ringing in some scenes.
    people watching it on a display under 50" will most likely find it completely satsifying.

the commentary looks to be a slog, as the director sounds very old and not quite on the ball in the passages i listened to.
    otherwise you get a decent presentation, with trailers and tv spots and 2 versions of the film for under $10 at some stores.
    its a helluva a bargin.

this was the first time i'd seen it.
    not bad, but frankly i would have rather have seen Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry get a release either alongside it or in place of it.
    DMCL just had a little more plot to get into from what i recall.

5. LarryDavenport

How different is the UK version of the film?

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i've heard (one of) the differences between the two versions is a hitch-hiker scene
    i haven't watched the Uk version yet.

7. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

OK, I'll weigh in. First, the PQ is the best that I have ever seen this movie look. That being said, there is no denying that it is not perfect. But being a film from 1970, I'll give it a pass. This movie has had a place in my heart since I saw it in the theater when I was 15. The sound, while not on par with todays soundtracks, is clear and what I would expect from an early '70's movie. Paul_Scott, I know what you mean about the commentary. I would rather have heard a commentary from Barry Newman. My final thoughts, I'm just tickled pink that I have a watchable copy of VP in my grubby little fingers! That old VHS tape is already in the trash! [​IMG]

8. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Is this disc in short supply at retail or something? For some reason, my pre-order at DDD still hasn't shipped yet.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I agree, it's the best I ever seen it. I watched the entire US version, but I did see the chapter with the hitch-hiker and noted the UK version is about 6 minutes longer.

Crawdaddy

10. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

Mine shipped from DVD Soon today.

11. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I bought the DVD last week (it was very hard to find, but I did track down a copy) and watched it over the weekend. I thought the picture quality was very good for a film that is thirty years old. It's always great to see Barry Newman and the late Cleavon Little--I haven't listened to the audio commentary yet, but I hope the director (I forget his name at the moment)has some insightful or amusing anecdotes.

12. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

A local store mistakenly had a whole stack of VP out a month ago. I got mine on Jan 6..so why DDD doesnt have any yet is a mystery...I think maybe they are having cash flow issues.
    the extra footage is a few minutes of a rather cool young Charlotte Rampling as a hitchhiker.
    She essentially smokes weed with and has implied sex with Kowalski...and then disappears!
    I can see the suits getting nervous over both premises and cutting it, though it does slow things a bit. PQ is A-OK on my set.

13. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I can't wait to see it again, and assumed it would be easy to find when I go to get it?

IMO a great road-movie with an anti-hero climax.

Was there ever a soundtrack album? I picked up a cd called VP several years ago by Primal Scream. One track is called Kowalski.

14. jimbo w

jimbo w Stunt Coordinator

Bought 2 of the 3 copies stocked at my local Best Buy (knew my brother would want it) No complaints here, best presentation of this movie I have seen since the double feature with Dirty Mary Crazy Larry back in 73 or so. You gotta love the soundtrack!

15. jimbo w

jimbo w Stunt Coordinator

I have the album and taped it to cassette back in the early 90s. Tuff to find ,I dont know if it ever hit the cd market.

16. LarryDavenport

17. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Forgot about this one, been meaning to see it since it was talked about on some of The Limey extras.

I hope DDD is not having problems as they are my DVD store of choice. I noticed it took them a couple of weeks before they shipped me Superfly when it came out last month. But I placed a big order in December that had no problems.