What's new

Vandersteen V2W vs SVS vs something else??? (1 Viewer)

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
(cross posted over on www.avsforum.com as well)
Well kids... like the subject line says. Anyone have opinions on the Vandy V2W vs one of the SVS subs or something else in the under-$1500 subwoofer category? I plan on using it as my one and only sub in my approx. 17'x18' theater room. This will be used for 70/30 movies/music. My downstairs system is the musical system and what will be used for casual tv viewing.
I have not chosen a processor and preamp yet... but I am leaning in the direction of the Outlaw Audio 770 7-channel 200W amp (or something in the same vein, i.e. a little more economical) for power and (if I can scrape the pennies together and still afford the front projector) the Tag AVR32.
This will be a 7.1 channel system and I will be running:
Paradigm Reference Studio 40 (L & R Front)
Paradigm Reference Studio CC (Center)
Paradigm Reference ADP-450 (L & R Side Surrounds)
I haven't decided on whether to go with dipoles or direct radiators in the back yet... but those will be Paradigm Reference as well.
Thoughts? Opinions?
Other subs I looked at were the Paradigm Servo-15 (felt it was too mushy on some musical material I heard), and a few M&K subs. My downstairs sub is the Paradigm PW2200 and I really like it (nice and tight... and still great for DVD viewing in the open family room)... but I am looking for a little more for the dedicated movie/HD room.
Thanks and regards,
Jeff

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

Since the sub and system is more movie oriented than music, I would sacrifice the speed of the Vandersteen for the ultimate output of one(or two) of the SVS subs.

However, that being said, a pair of Vandy subs are on my ultimate wish list to mate with my Maggies. My system does double duty and I am far more critical of my musical performance over HT. Let us know what you decide.

Jason

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick update...

Still haven't decided on which sub(s) to go with. More listening tests to be done, but now that I have changed my idea about getting a B&K Ref 30 do to their STILL undisclosed DPL2 and DTS-ES Discrete plans things are sorta up in the air. I'll let you know as more things become clear.

Later,

Jeff

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Other subs I looked at were the Paradigm Servo-15 (felt it was too mushy on some musical material I heard)...
Really? I feel that the Servo is one of the most musical subs I've ever heard (I'd put it up against a REL any day). Setup with subwoofers is critical (room placement and EQ)... it sounds like that dealer didn't do either correctly. Whatever sub you decide on, make sure you don't fall into the same trap!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
When you say you are looking for something *more* compared to the PW2200 in the other system...do you mean more clean output? If so, I don't think the vandy is really the way to go. The pw2200 is one of the more powerful subwoofers out there. The Hsu TN20 might be a good option. The earthquake subs are getting good reviews although I haven't seen much objective performance stuff on them.

If you go SVS, I would take the CS_U/S1000 combo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks