Vandersteen experts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin C Brown, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I just got what I think is a VCC-1 (used). But the reason for my confusion, is that it just says VCC on the back. (No box or documentation.)
    Plus, I got 2CE Signatures with it. With these, I did get the boxes that have stickers on them with the "Signature" added after the "Model 2Ce". These speakers just say Model 2Ce on the back, but they have Richard Vandersteen's signature also.
    The center channel also has Richard's signature on the back. Is it possible I got lucky and this is a VCC Signature?
    It's interesting in that I'm moving from Def Tech, and at first, I thought the 2CE Sigs were uninvolving, sounding thin, bass-lite, and extremely monophonic. But I think I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that what I'm hearing now for the very first time is what I'm supposed to be hearing. (I've had Def Tech's for 10 yrs.) The "wall of sound" is gone, but the imaging is much better, and the music has more detail, nuance, and depth. (Yes, I did read the manual for the Vandy's and set them up correctly! [​IMG] I'm on the room node 9 divisor from the front wall. I have curtains on 1 side wall, and the other side wall opens into my kitchen.) Kind of like I'm learning how to listen to music again.
    The ultimate test will be to have these in my system long enough to get used to them (5 days so far; I'm shooting for 1 month), then switch back, and then decide. For right now, the 2 sets just sound "different."
    Thanks!

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I'm no expert about ANYTHING. (Anyone who knows me tells me that...constantly! [​IMG] )
    Anyway...
    I'm running a pair of 2CE Sigs and you're right. Other than Mr. Vandersteen's signature, there's no marking on the speakers to indicate that the 2CE's are the better version. So, I agree that it sure looks like you have the better center channel. But since I don't run a Vandersteen center, I can't tell you for sure exactly which model you have.
    I agree that there is something special about these speakers. I too ran some Def Techs a few years ago and finally grew tired of them. But with the Vandersteen's, I'm now past 2 years of ownership and still very pleased. No, they aren't the flashiest sound in the world. Nor are they the last word in the bass department. But they just sound "right" to me.
    Every once in a while I look at other speakers that are in some stores. But after I listen to them, I always go back home, listen to my 2CE's and decide there's no reason to change...

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I don't have an answer for yo either, but congrats on your purchase and liking the sound. I have some vandys in another room and they do have a very smoooth sound to them (although, I don't think they are as exciting as the B&Ws I use in my main system, I can see/hear why some people swear by vandys, they sound very good)