What's new

Vancouver: Winter Olympics 2010 (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I guess you never saw the report that showed 75% of BC government revenue comes from the interior of the province. The Olympic freak show is capital intensive. You can guarantee that the majority of the funding is going to be coming from the provincial government, which means that the interior is once again going to be footing most of the bill and getting little or none of the benefits.....as usual. Vancouver will get its freak show, and the interior will pay with rotting highways and streets, substandard medical care, and gutted social services. What is even worse is that the people who are getting the "privilege" of "helping" Vancouver pay for its party, never even got a say in whether they wanted the Olympic gong show. Vancouver, and only Vancouver, was able to vote on whether this multi-billion dollar farce would be pursued. The only ones who should be paying for this ridiculous, outdated muscle party is the city that wanted it. The people who voted for the party knew that they wouldn't have to foot the bill alone, so it was an easy decision to vote to yes to saddling everybody in the province with the White Elephant. If they had had to vote on whether they were willing to pay an extra $1000 dollar assessment on their property taxes to pay for their two week wing-ding, the yes votes would have been noted for their complete absence....except of course for the fat cats, who wouldn't have even felt a dent in their pocket books, thanks to Gordos tax cut for the the already obscenely wealthy.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Shoot man, things not all well in BC....;)

Honestly a lot of what you have mentioned Edwin, happened here in Salt Lake when we had our "party."

1.8 Billion went to a new freeway (rebuilding of I-15)
Millions more went to service roads to exclusively led to PRIVATLY owned ski resorts. A good deal of our future Federal highway dollars went to projects like these.

When I here you mention increased property and gas taxes I cringe. I have a friend who lives in Vancouver and when I hear how much he pays in property taxes, I puke. Really :frowning:

Michael.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I guess you never saw the report that showed 75% of BC government revenue comes from the interior of the province.
This thread will be closed soon I'm sure but what you speak of is made up of the corporate income tax that logging and mining companies pay as well as stumpage fees.

I was speaking of income tax and property taxes which are more of a direct hit to you and I here in BC. 69% of BC's population lives in Vancouver and Victoria. The top 20% of income earners contribute greater than 60% of the income taxes in this province while the lowest 20% contribute less than 1%. Don't get me wrong, that's the way it should be.

I too wish that the entire province could have voted. I live in a suburb of Vancouver actually and I didn't get to vote either.

I don't like the fact that roads in the interior suck too. I do travel through there too. But, what I remember from the last budget was that the gasoline tax we just got foisted on us here in the Lower Mainland was earmarked only for road improvements outside of the Lower Mainland.

But, I'm happy its coming. We obviously don't share that point of view.

Sorry about taking this political. I'm going to go enjoy a good DVD now. :)

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks