What's new

Vancouver: Winter Olympics 2010 (1 Viewer)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Wow, we won! I kinda forgot about that this morning.

It'll be interesting to see what happens around here in preperation for the games.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
crazy! I remember as a kid going to Vancouver for the expo (in like 1986??) maybe I'll catch some winter olympics stuff in 2010

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Yay! Congrats Vancouver!

I know that my city was totally nutty back in '88, so have fun! :D

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Yesterday, we partied. Today, we party again. Tomorrow, we get to work for the next seven years. :)

There's no doubt we can build world class facilities for the Olympic Games. Our engineers already build top class infrastructures both for ourselves and for other countries. It's simply a matter of keeping the costs under control.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
If they have the Hockey final in BC Place as suggested in that article.... that would be nuts.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Great another chance for Canada to continue its streak of being the only country NOT to win a Gold when they are the host. :)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
$600 million Canadian to fix up the highway (97?) from Vancouver to Whistler. IIRC that wound around the coastline for the first half - how in the heck will that get widened?
Remember $600 Mil CAD is like $0.50 USD :)

There's going to be a whole lot of dynamite used on that road. I wouldn't want to be driving around there over the next couple of years. But, after that its going to be awesome. Yeah Vancouver!

Patrick

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There's going to be a whole lot of dynamite used on that road.
Which is already notorious for its mudslides, and being one of the most dangerous routes around these parts.

That $600Mil will be 1.8 Billion before that project gets done. We won't be able to wrap it in Saran Wrap and sell it for $200 when were done though.

Goodbye education, goodbye health care, hello Olympics. They just better hope it snows!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Congrats Vancouver and a BIG thank you from Toronto.

This kills any chance of the 2012 Summer Olympics coming here! Yippeee!

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Congrats Vancouver,

It was nice having the Olympics here - I have never seen our city come so alive before. The excitment of it all will wither some in the next 7 years but when opening day arrives I am sure that Vancouver will do Canada and the world proud.

Michael.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Toronto folks, don't be bitter. You never had a shot at the 2012 games. Paris/London/Madrid/Moscow are all bidding, in addition to NY. If South Korea or Austria had won the 2010 Winter games, NY would be a lock of the 2012 Summer games.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wish the Vancouver f*$#s celebrating the "great victory" were the f#$%s that got stuck with bill. The only problem is everybody else is going to get bent over and rammed to pay for Vancouvers party. The roads and services in Northern BC can go to hell just so long as Vancouvers idiot elite can crow about being a "World Class" city. "World Class" assholes is more like it.

There is only one thing worse than Vancouver getting the Olympics. It is all the morons, outside of Vancouver, who actually think that this is going to be a great benefit for people outside of the Lower Mainland. Yeah, right! Just for starters, the Lower Mainland gets a 600 million road improvement project while MAYBE, just MAYBE, Prince George might get some pittance to help build a lousy sports complex at UNBC for elite athletic interests. Whoop-dee-do! Great benefit! Meanwhile, I and hundreds of thousands of other people won't be able to afford to attend Gordon Campbells Vancouver blow job, because our pocket books are being emptied -as an appetizer of things to come- by a 3.5 cent a litre increase in the gas tax, to help make the trip to Whistler easier for a bunch of wealthy mother....ers. We certainly wouldn't want the suspension systems on Gordo and company's limos to sustain any wear and tear as they speed up to Whistler to take advantage of their free tickets to the best seats in the house; all of it subsidized by a mere slashing and burning of social services. BC welfare recipients can take comfort in the knowledge that the reduction of their benefits -and consequently their food budget- is going to a good cause.....a 'World Class' speed skating rink. After the party is over, maybe all the homeless people will be able to take up residence on the infield.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks