Vancouver residents: Where to go now for new releases?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

Greetings fellow Vancouverites!
    I used to go to Sam for all my new releases. They were always there by 10am on release day with the lowest price around. Now, Sam is gone [​IMG] , so where do I go?
    Virgin? Oh no, they can't be bothered to put out the new stuff until a couple of days, sometimes a week, later. And they are expensive and rude and they piss me off regularly.
    A&B? Oh no, by noon, they are sold out of half the new titles because they didn't bother to order enough copies.
    Online? Oh no, due to a misspent youth, Rain currently has no credit card.
    CNL? Oh no, no car.
    Any ideas for a place to get new releases reliably and affordably?

2. Henry Woo

Henry Woo Agent

I usually go to Future Shop. They are usually pretty good about getting the new releases out on Tuesday (unless there are some distribution problems). And their prices are more times than not, the best in town.

3. Matt_M

Matt_M Stunt Coordinator

I'll second that. 95% of the time I end up going to Future Shop. Lowest prices or if not they price match.

CNL is good for stuff like hard to find U.S imports. For me its quite a drive and you are right without a car no real way to get there.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Rain, I usually go to Futureshop as well since I've found that it definitely has the lowest prices. Always cheaper than even what they advertise online. They seem to always have the major releases out right away but stuff like Criterions are hit and miss.

I think there's one in North Van on Marine drive and another in West Van in the Park Royal Shopping Center.

Patrick

5. Steven L

Steven L Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for Future Shop. The prices are good and the one close to where I work (Bridgeport in Richmond) always has lots of copies of new releases in stock.

6. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Can't say about Future shop being in N. Van,But I've bought 85 DVD,s and about 70 of them were from Future shop.There's a new store in Langley 10 minutes from my house.If there is one,that's the place to go.They were $6-8 less than anybody else on The Godfather for a example.Wish I could say the same regarding there audio dept.Low end Harmon Kardon is as good as it gets.I'd like to see them get into the Denon/Onkyo/Yammy game.

Wayner

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Thanks, guys.
    Yes, there is a FS in N. Van at Park Royal mall. It's a fairly easy stop over if I take the "land" bus home over the bridge.
    I knew their prices were good, but I didn't know how reliable they were on new releases. Since they seem to be, I'll give them a try.
    Much appreciated. [​IMG]

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

you can always get a debit/MAC card tied into your bank account. All the benefits of a credit card, including online ordering

9. Rain

Rain Producer

Jeff, thanks for that tip. I had no idea that was possible. I'll check it out at my bank...that would be very helpful.

10. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Yup put me in the Futureshop category. The FS I've been to, the Broadway and Burrard, they usually have a list of future releases.

I also shop at Costco, but they really don't have much selection.

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

I'd also recommend the Future Shops in Van. A and B sound seemed pretty good too, but I haven't been in there on any release days.
    I sure hope you get some form of online payment because CNL is strongly, strongly recommended (particularily for your film-snob tastes [​IMG]) And you'd probably get your shipment within hours!

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'd disagree with CNL being highly recommended. Everyone I know who's ever shopped there avoids them like the plague, including me. Yeah, they have stuff, but they are so rude and their return policy bites, plus their prices are always higher than most anywhere else.

FS and A&B would be my bets. Online sometimes for better deals.

13. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Yep, Future Shop is the way to go for most stuff.
    When I first got a player way back in '97, A&B ruled the DVD world and Future Shop was a terrible place to shop. Future Shop has done nothing but get better and better and A&B has done nothing but get worse and worse.
    It used to be that I would buy most of my new release major studio stuff from FS and buy my Criterion/Image/Anchor Bay/Indy stuff from Sam's, but FS has even gotten better about stocking the more obscure stuff. I picked up 8 1/2 there for $43.
    CNL might be a good store if you have money to burn, and want to do all your shopping in one stop. They have a selection, I'll give them that. But I hate the exclusivity, the "superior" attitude, and most of all, their stupidly high prices. I have been there exactly once and have no plans to return.

14. Christian R

Christian R Agent

Now that Sam's is gone...I guess here's another vote for Future Shop...although it's getting hard finding ANY place in town for the RARER new "old" releases...for example some of the new "oldies" (like MGM's WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION, TOPKAPI, THE LOVER or Warner's LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON)are NOWHERE to be found (Only place I haven't checked is Virgin - for obvious "overpriced" reasons). None of the stores even seem to know they exist. I know Sam's would have been there for me...sniff, sniff. Let's just hope someone in town will pick up the "reasonably priced" slack...

15. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Hey what about Superstore? They don't have an incredible selection, but their prices are sometimes better than Future shop, about the same as Costco.

Most of the time, Future Shop, Costco, and Superstore are the same price, but sometimes Costco and Superstore have stuff for a couple bucks less. Worth a look if you are not too far from one.