Vancouver DVD Stores?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zacha R, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

I'll be staying in Vancouver for a few days in October, and am hoping to buy some DVDs whilst there. Can anyone recommend a good store (or Canadian chain of stores) near Kitsilano Beach? Thanks.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Zacha,
    Not a lot of stores down by Kits beach for obvious reasons but if you just go over the Burrard street bridge you'll be right downtown where you'll find A&B Sound on Seymour Street. A&B also has some really cheap CD's and huge selection. Average new release CD price is $12.99 CAD and average new release DVD is anywhere from $21.99 to $25.99 depending on the studio. And, right next door is Sams which also has a good selection.
    But, if you want the best pricing stay on that side of the bridge and go south on Burrard right up to Broadway and you'll find a huge Futureshop. By far the best pricing and on new releases you'll find that the listed price on the futureshop website (www.futureshop.ca) is actually a buck or two higher than you can get in the store in Vancouver.
    Have fun here and bring an umbrella since its getting into hit and miss weather now.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. Zacha R

Thanks Patrick. I don't arrive until the 14th, so hopefully the weather can only go downhill from here.
    Any other suggestions?

4. Christian R

Christian R Agent

You might also try SAM THE RECORD MAN, right next door to A&B - sometimes they have good deals as well. My suggestion is to try all three stores. Weather wise - we've got a little sun or some lovely rain - so be prepared!!!

5. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

When I'm in Van I stop by Sam's and A and B sound on Seymour. I've found Sam's has a really good selection of lesser known discs.
    Virgin Megastore on Robson and Burrard is also good for hard-to-finds but their prices are outlandish.
    Oh, and if you plan to see a movie: Cineplex Odeon Granville Cinemas, Screen 7. Just trust me on this one. [​IMG]
    Jay-Couver
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
    "After about five minutes of this movie, you're going to wish you had ten beers." Ghost World
    My Own Film Review Website Coming Soon!

6. Zacha R

I'll take your word for it. Do they have EX capability there? I've never had the chance to listen to it here in Sydney.

7. Dan Wetzel

Dan Wetzel Extra

If you want to drive a little ways into town, CNL (www.cnl.com) has a huge selection. Not that close to Kits, but they usually have all the odd DVD's you kind find anywhere else.
    ------------------
    DVD Collection

8. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

WRT, WWW.CNL.COM you'll have to sign up as a member before they let you behind to the titles. It's free to join.
    Futureshop will probably have the best price, but do check out A&B, Sam's next door, and to find higher than MSRP, Virgin.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

You can browse CNL as a guest.
    What's special about Screen 7 at Granville 7? I've grown fond of Tinseltown recently actually.
    Zacha : The bases are all covered, A&B, Futureshop, and Sams are your best bets without a doubt.
    ------------------

10. Zacha R

Thanks all.
    I'm not sure if I'll have time to go to the movies as well. But, if I do, I've got two places to try out. I may just have to go to them both.

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter