What's new

Vancouver/Burnaby HDTV: What do I need? (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
Hello,
I have a HDTV-ready TV and was wondering what I need to get HDTV signals in the Vancouver/Burnaby, BC, Canada area.
Right now, I have a Sony 36XBR450 TV and analog cable.
Thanks,
Allan

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
You have four choices
Bell Expressvu, Star Choice, Directv and Dishtv
1. Bell offers the most programming, cost $12.00 a month the STB and dish will cost$650 to 750
2. Starchoice about the same price plus $150 because they use two boxes to receive HD they are coming out with 1 STB any day now,offer less programming than Bell.
3#4.Direct TV and Dish TV the set top boxes cost$1200.00 Cdn plus. The units have to be bought in the US but there probably some gray marketers in your area. They are offered in Toronto at that high price.Then you have to pay for a subscription that will cost more than Bell or Starchoice.
I would suggest that you go www.expressvu.com and www.starchoice.com and read up on the programming selection.
Personally I chose expressvu because of price more availably of HD programming and 1 set top box.
The American HD have more selection but it comes at an increased cost.
There is no HD programming in Canada. Expressvu and Starchoice broadcast the American Networks CBS is the leader ABC is catching up. Both networks have prime HD lineups.Both satellite companies offer a limited amount of movies in HD.
NBC is non existent except for Lenno and Fox is very poor quality at 480p.
There are no cable companies in Canada that offer HD they offer digital TV which is more resolution than standard but far less than HD.
I have given you some choices make yourself an informed shopper.There is much mis information out there especially from the big stores like future shop.
Good luck with the shopping
PS. the HD picture is amazing quality nothing can touch it

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I'd probably go with Bell ExpressVu with the HD Reciever...
Im not too sure, but im pretty sure getting US Satellite channels is kinda illegal in canada...
confused.gif

------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

nousername

Supporting Actor
Thanks, James!
Just a couple of more questions. I live in a townhouse and therefore cannot get a dish. Does this mean I'm out of luck?
Also, what does STB mean? I'm completely clueless as you can see.
Thanks for the info! I'll look up those websites tonight...
Allan

nousername

Supporting Actor
Hey, Nick! Good to see a fellow Vancouverite here.
Do you have HDTV? If so, do I need a dish? I live in a townhouse, and they kinda frown upon stuff like that...
Thanks,
Allan

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
Set top box receives the signal and coverts it to HD for your TV . In a way it is a HD tuner originally the HDTV were going to have that piece of equipment installed but it was found to be cheaper to make it outside the set. It is somewhat similar to a cable box.
Some of the STB have a feature where you can plug in a terrestrial antennae.
Bell and Starchoice no, but direct tv has,however there is no terrestrial signal available unless you can pick up one of the local American stations that is broadcasting in HD.
Not all American stations broadcast a HD signal I suggest you check their web site or send them an e mail.
Buffalo NY close to Toronto has none but CBS is due to come on line soon.
As far as the townhouse that will be your problem to figure out. Perhaps there is local bylaw that prevents it??? Many of the townhouse and apartments here have the dish on the balcony or at the front of the house,or the roof. Very common here in Toronto you need a SW unobstructed view of the skyline to get a signal
Vancouver direction may be different and an expressvu dealer can tell what is required. It takes about an hour or less to install a dish. Many people do it themselves. I did not but my son did and it is relatively simple.
If you can get an expressvu dish that's the way I would go perhaps have a qualified satellite dealer come out and give you an assessment the situation.
At one time direct TV was offering a man made rock to cover the dish that would be installed in the garden.
Good luck

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,
Getting US channels in Canada is one of those "grey" areas. While not illegal to actually receive US broadcasts in Canada, it IS illegal for DirecTV or Dish to knowingly let you receive their broadcasts. This is why you must go through a broker to pay your monthly payments.
What it is illegal, however, is using hacked programming cards to receive signals for free.
Peter

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
>If so, do I need a dish? I live in a townhouse, and they >kinda frown upon stuff like that...
I live in an apartment, and I used to think I would be forever denied the pleasure of seeing a high-def picture on my Toshiba HDTV. But a little research on the internet, a trip to Home Depot to get a big garden planter, a couple of bags of cement and a steel fence post, and a couple of hours of labor on the deck, and I'm up and running.
The key is to make sure you have that clear shot to the satellite in the South-East, approximately towards Mt. Baker. The angle of elevation to the satellite from Vancouver is about 26 degrees, so unless you're surrounded by huge trees or tall buildings in close proximity, it's pretty easy to hit the bird.
Check this site as a good resource for Canadian satellite info, including a forum.
Good luck! When you see Band of Brothers in 1080i, with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, or college football on CBS-HD, you'll have a hard time wiping the grin from your face!
------------------
Mario
Proprietor and chief nacho chip server of Cinemario

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
With regard to the cable companies having a HD offering, I heard that Shaw plans to introduce a HD channel before the years end, but I don't how this will be implemented.
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks