Vancouver BC vendors with FP for demo?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by NickSo, Nov 19, 2003.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Anybody know of any places in vancouver that have projectors I can take a look at?

Im currently considering:
    Sanyo Z1
    Infocus X1
    Panasonic PT-L200U (This is the same as AE200U right?)
    Sony HS3
    Epson S1

Thanks in advance

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There are lots of CRTs in vancouver if you want to demo those.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well, i am shopping for a projector round $1,300 CAD or under, so CRT projectors wont work too well in that price range :p)

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sure they will. IMO, much better too. Give curt a ring, he's got piles of them (literally), all over his house.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Nick, keep you eyes wide open(like your picture[​IMG]) for BB or Future SHop to put the S1 on sale for $1000 like it was at BB a couple of weeks ago.

While most will agree the X1 is a better unit for the $350 price difference and cheaper bulbs it's the better "first FPTV"

B

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, but the thing is the S1 is not nearly as "good" as the other ones i've listed... That and the 14.5% tax is killer... For $1000 then its a decent price, however, i've found a Panny PT-L200U shipped to canada for about the same price, and from what i've read, its a very popular projector...

I've still gotta discuss my research with my dad, and then take into consideration the room size, lighting, projector use (worried about the widescreen resolution of the L200U), etc.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well, i went to the A&B Sound on SWmarine, they had a Panny PT-AE300U on demo... it wasnt set up real well, it didnt look too good when it was displaying a menu from LOTR..

They also had the TOshiba version of the X1 on demo... hooked it up.. it looked very nice, even with ambient light in the room... I tried to notice any rainbows, but could not see any... though I had only viwed it for about 10 minutes, the opening of LOTR in a lit room.

Anyways, my demo X1 is expected to arrive on monday... too bad i live on campus, and will only be able to come back on the saturday [​IMG](

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Anyways, i recieved my demo X1 today...

And wooohooo, its freakin awesome! NO rainbows to be seen as of yet (except when i wave my fingers in front of my face)...

DVDs look great, Dreacmast in VGA looks orgasmic...
    My dad is on the verge of buying it (Waiting till i finish my exams) [​IMG]

Anyways, setup was very simple, we finally organized it so it would fit and the screen displayed on the back wall. I was afraid the long-throw lens would create too small an image, its perfect. Im pretty sure a short-throw one in say the L200U or the Z1 would create too big an image...

Very awesome... Now we just gotta consider light control, and how to make a screen.

9. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Thanks for the update, but what did you pay?

B

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    This is the Demo X1 they have for the 10day evaulation...

I am planning on purchasing the projector online...

Hey brentl, do we need to pay duty/taxes if they ship it from the states up to here?

Im either gonna have them deliver up to here, or im gonna drive down south of the border and pick it up at a holdings company about 45 minutes from here...

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You're missing out on the CRT option. [​IMG]

You should at least give it a demo, and IMO a much better value, especially at a low price point. Don't miss the chance to at least see one in action!

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I did take a look at some, but they ere the high end ones...

My dad actually needs it also to do some presentations and stuff, so its gotta be kinda portable...

are there any CRT models you could recommend for round $1300CAD?

13. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well. So much for my idea. If you need portable, then go with digital. Used, there are lots of projectors out there, curt is one of the biggest techs and sellers, and he's in vancouver. Yes they are VERY high end, but there is little demand, and a significant supply as they go out of fasion, so you get them VERY cheap.

Anyway, since you want portability, by all means go digital. CRTs are just not very portable (both physically, and setup-wise). Can be done, but the ease of a digital in this situation is definitely preferrable.

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So