What's new

Vance Dickason Sub Problem (1 Viewer)

Nevin

Agent
Hey, guys. I received the Vance D. sub from Parts Express last month, and I seem to be having some problems with it. I've got a Denon 1803 with the crossover set at 80, fronts set to small, sub level at 0 db, and have it hooked to the sub with an rca. As for the sub settings, I've got the crossover set at around 100 and phase set to 0. I adjust the volume level as necessary. For most movies, anything past half-volume on the sub causes a "clipping" sound, and I'm not sure I'm getting the output I should be. This is my first sub, so I'm not sure how to explain the sound. All I know is that it's awful.
For example, I was watching LOTR the other day with the receiver volume at -19, and when Bilbo drops the ring on the floor, the sub "clips." So, my question is...are my settings wrong, or could there be something wrong with the amp or driver? Thanks in advance.

Nevin

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Nevin,

I've found that that amp needs to be set right around 1/4-1/3 of the way up in order to be able to calibrate properly. Much higher than that and you're probably bottoming out the driver or causing the amp to clip.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The sub volume. I'd turn the crossover wide open if your receiver has a built in crossover.

Nevin

Agent
Ok, so at that volume level on the sub, I'm going to need a lot more bass. Should I just adjust the sub level in the receiver? Thanks for the info.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
IMHO, if you can hear/notice the sub while playing sorta "normally loud" stuff, like non-rap music, you've got the amp on the sub set too loud. A sub should "warm up" stuff in general - if you hear a lot of thump in general, you're pushing it to hard.

When I calibrated my DLS-10 with the ratshack meter, etc., I pretty much only notice the sub by its absence if I leave it turned off, or if I've unplugged it for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks