What's new

Van Morrison/Moondance question (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Has the majority of Van's back-catalog been remastered, and, specifically, has "Moondance" been remastered? A quick search of his stuff at Amazon brought up some stuff that appears to have been remastered, and others that haven't.

Thanks. :D

John Watson

Screenwriter
I second that question, I'm getting that "need the cd's of those vinyl albums I used to have" feeling.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Amazon identifies some VM albums as remastered (Poetic Champions Compose, Irish Heartbeat, Greatest Hits--all on Polygram), while Moondance and others on Warner Brothers aren't. Maybe I've answered my own question.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I believe that Warner did remaster the catalog a few years ago. I am holding out for hirez.

By the way, his new stuff is awesome and I really like Poetic Champions Compose.

There is a great quote that "pdenny" at Steve Hoffman uses that is Springsteen asking why no one ever heards about the classic albums that Van puts out every year.

It is truly amazing how the radio never plays his new stuff...

:)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Lee:

I agree that Van's output over the last decade or so has been truly excellent, and it's a damned shame that it's received so little attention. (Well, my beloved WFUV plays the stuff, so some of us have been tuned in.)

I really like Hymns to the Silence, Days Like This,, etc. Now I need to rebuild my back-catalog.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
sounds like I will be in for a treat than on sunday as he is playing in Stirling castle in Scotland

:emoji_thumbsup:

John Watson

Screenwriter
I guess the question could be put - is MOONDANCE "unremastered" a good disk, sound wise? In other words maybe it was done well the first time. :)

This thread reminds me that I have several of his 90's disks, and I was prompted to relisten. Very worthwhile, especially HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON, with Georgie Fame.

Van Morrison re-recorded "Moondance" for this album, and it's lovely, a much more melodic rendition than the fantastic original.

One of the things I like about him is that he has matured, and performs more loosely, but in a swinging way, with great accompaniment.

My basic Van memory goes all the way back to "Brown Eyed Girl"; there was a girl named Loretta with brown eyes in my class that I had a crush on, unfortunately I was as paralysingly shy as they came in those days, but I still have lovely (but pretty innocent) fantasies about her.

Craig Oberg

Agent
oscar_merkx,

You are in for a treat. I had the honor of seeing him
twice in Florida for The Healing Game Tour. I will
spend my Sunday in envy, or maybe I'll watch the
LD of the Avalon tour in celebration of your good
fortune. It's a real shame that none of the concert
videos have been released on DVD.

I read somewhere that Rhino is working on a DVD-A
of Moondance. I just hope the rest of the catalog
is on it's way in Hi-Rez in either flavor.

Craig

DanaA

Screenwriter
To go another direction, Van Morrison's work with Them shouldn't go unnoticed. The two disc compilation is fantastic. The shame of it all is that American Idol singers get tons of airplay, when the greatness of Van is ignored.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Well, I picked it up, and imo (WARNING - I'n not an audiophile), the Moondance CD sounds great.

I have heard some flat sounding cd's, like my Allman Bros Greatest hits, and this one is nothing like that.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't Moondance announced for release on DVD-A a year or two ago? Anyone know what's going on? I would snatch this title up in a second if it were to be released on DVD-A.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Moondance was on Rhino's Upcoming Release schedule for a long time then dissapeared. The CD has never been remastered, but since I never heard it on vinyl, my WB CD has always sounded fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks