What's new

Van Ling Chat Transcript? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sorry P.C., I posted prior to your post. I've edited my post to reflect only technical issues:

However once more. ANY blowing up of the image creates fault, something that Van agreed with. He went as far as to say that even taking computer screenshots introduces too many variables for a true diagnosis of what you have issue with.
Without being able to discuss these issues directly with V.L. makes judging the objective meaning of what he stated difficult. However, if you have accuratly communicated the direction of his opinions then it's quite possible that V.L. is also mistaken or making false-assumptions about the quality and sophistication of Bjoern's system. Without V.L. here to comment himself it's both impossible and unfair to judge.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
ANY blowing up of the image creates fault, something that Van agreed with.
Again..... the blowing up part is irrelevant to the fact that some titles have EE and others don't. NOONE would complain about any halos of a 'blown up' screening of EE-free titles like Braveheat, Insider, Rules of Engagment or AOTC on my setup.

Your search for the 'fault' in the methology is just not right.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Parker,

I appologize. The discussion shall continue on a non-personal level. I hope Jeff won't find my last posting offensive or insulting in any way.

Regards

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Its hardly rocket science to understand that if a screenshot of the trailer shows basically no EE and the feature does horribly so (both taken exactly the same way), that its not the methology that is at fault.
This one simple statement should lay to rest all debate.

In any case...all the passion around this issue makes it clear that it was a *good thing* that it didn't come up during the chat! :D

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I also just thought I'd point out that the size of the screen being used is irrelevant at a constant viewing multiple. IE the screen will appear to be the exact same size and take up the same amount of forward and peripheral vision no matter the actual size of the screen if you sit at a constant multiple of the screen distance, often quoted here at 1.5 screen widths. IE 45" from a 30" screen, 6' from a 4' screen, or in Bjoern's case, 13.5' from a 9' screen, the appearant size of the screen will be identical in all cases.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, frankly I wish Bjoern had been at the chat to explain to Van Ling what his methodology is so there aren't these misconceptions floating around. Until we all get onto the same page we can't profitably attempt to isolate what step of the telecine chain is creating these rings and halos--which in the post-chat chat Van Ling acknowledged people are in fact seeing, regardless of any issues that he has with Bjoern's specific methodology.

Maybe a mini-chat of just the two of them would be useful? :) I'd buy tickets for that....

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
No reason why Van Ling can't respond on the forum. I don't think a live-"chat" is very condusive to discussing a complicated issue like this...but agreed that it would be nice to be able to discuss it in a setting limited to just that one issue.

Could we have a thread dedicated to the task on HTF where V.L. can respond/discuss with members? We could have some very clear administrator-approved rules/guidelines for all discussion taking place in the thread to keep things in check.

-dave

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The forum would work too; I was just thinking that a live chat would be more conducive to hammering out what the issues are without things dragging on forever.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Good point. Maybe if we had a thread it could have a pre-determined end-date after which the thread is closed?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We had our chat with Van Ling last Tuesday.

The announcement was up on the main page for
several weeks prior to the event -- especially
since it was postponed one additional week.

If you had an issue and did not make the chat
then you have no-one to blame but yourself.

Let's stop trying to take Van Ling to task when
he was very gracious to already give up his time
to talk to you LIVE with NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Let's stop trying to take Van Ling
I don't think anyone in this thread was taking Van to task Ron, in fact I think everyone thus far has been very gracious and understanding in keeping thier minds open to what Van had/has to say on the issue. Further demonstrated by the willingness of said membership to speak to Van Ling on the current topic of discussion. Surely there is little wrong with that?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I would like to apologize to Bjoern for starting a one-sided debate without his presence, after thinking about it, I agree that this was wrong. I would look forward to a future date where we can debate the potential merits of your analytical method.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I think the issue here is (was?) between Bjoern Ray and Jeff Kleist, and that they seemed to have taken their argument elsewhere. Van never stated equivocally that either Jeff or Bjoern was wrong, but that he'd have to take a look at Bjoern's evidence.

In other news, this was actually a fun, informative chat (according to the transcripts). I hope disagreements like this don't scare Van and others away. Kudos to Ron and Parker for once again giving us a chance to pick the brains of the people behind our shiny plastic discs.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

I certainly didn't mean to take Van Ling to task, and if my comments came off that way I heartily apologize. He did sound in the post-chat chat comments to be more than willing to discuss the EE issue further and I was just making some suggestions to create a way to accomplish that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It is my understanding from the beginning
that Van volunteered to do this chat to
specifically answer the EE inquiries.

In fact, he made some inquiries on his own
with the people from THX prior to the chat so
that he be better prepared.

All I am doing in this thread is pointing out
that anyone who wanted to talk this over with
Van had the opportunity to do so last Tuesday.

There is no need to invite him here or suggest
special threads. Except for a few messages I
have forwarded to the forum from him in the past,
he has not participate on forums.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Understood Ron,

I'm very disappointed that I couldn't attend the chat. However, we all should be realistic about how restrictive the time-frame for a live "chat" can be. For most of us at HTF, having a "chat" really means a "chat transcript" that we read the next day and this is by necessity...not by choice. It's not that we're shy or don't want to attend...sometimes scheduling impossibilities prevents us from participating.

In any case, thanks to Van Ling for taking the time to chat with us and for providing the great info that he did! The EE/Phantom Menace DVD is mostly water-under-the-bridge anyway at this point...THX clearly figured out what went wrong and certified a spectacular disc for Attack of the Clones so I'm confident that we're all headed in the right direction...

dave :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Ahh, gotta love how threads can spiral so out of control from the original note of discussion ;).

thanks for the notification that the transcript is up. I'll have to check it out sometime during the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks