Van Ling Chat Transcript?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DeathStar1, Jul 9, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Any ideas when this will be up? I completly forgot about it. I was going to ask my simple question of... 'Will we see the return of 'The Begining' Extra, in the form of 'The End' Extra on Episode 3?'

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

He hasn't been officially hired to do the disc yet, so no one knows

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Just read the transcript. Where were the edge enhancement people? I had to work late and my office has a firewall that prevents chat, so that's my excuse, but the question of edge enhancement never came up at all--in fact he smarts off about it right at the end. David Boulet? Bjoern? Anyone? I can't believe no one asked at all about this. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Well, they should have shown up if they wish to debate him. We did discuss it "off the record" after the transcript ends a bit. Van said he still wants to do the seminar when schedules mesh better, but that (if I am recalling correctly) he is more and more convinced that the problem lies somewhere in the equipment chain

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I, too, find it interesting no one brought it up when the opportunity was there.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

7. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

I, for one, am thankful that noone brought up EE in the Van Ling chat. First, because of respect for Van Ling's work in general. Second, because a Q&A chat just isn't the place to discuss a complicated issue like EE.

So my absence there was deliberately. For what its worth.

8. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

True enough. As long as those producing discs have "learned their lesson" about EE and turn a new leaf with EE-free transfers like some of the excellent new titles (those you mentioned) we've been seeing...

10. WillG

WillG Producer

I Missed it myself, I'm surprised why nobody asked why the Theatrical version of T2:EE was hidden as an easter egg. Caused quite a bit of discussion earlier

11. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Where is the link to the chat transcript?

12. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

C'mon guys, you're perceptive enough to see edge enhancement, but you don't notice the link on the front page?

Sigh.

13. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

Link to chat
    BTW, there's a link to all previous chat transcripts at the top right of the HTF pages.
    Van was kind enough to stick around for a good while after the "official" chat was over. Sadly, I had to run partway through, but I left my client open for a while and logged some of it before getting disconnected. For those interested, here's my "unofficial" log, it picks up where the official one leaves off and ends where I got DC'd (EE is discussed some).

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

15. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

Thanks for the transcript, Ryan.

Nice bit of backstabbing at me in that after-hour chat there, Jeff. [​IMG] [​IMG]

1) You are mistaken about how i do screenshots for my reviews.
    2) The reason you state, as for why i scale the shots the way i do, is also wrong. The technical aspects of this would probably be beyond your scope anyway.
    3) The way you bring this misinterpretation of facts to Van's attention and then belittle me in front of him for doing it that way (which again, i am not), is highly insulting.

Its up to you, to make an ignorant fool out of yourself where ever you want. But not on my costs. [​IMG]

It was already obvious from the recent 10-page EE thread, that you are really confused on a lot of issues in regard to telecine, compression and digital processing filters. You also made it obvious, that your assessments on PQ should be taken with a rock of salt.

This wouldn't be so bad in itself, if you wasn't for the fact that you are so painfully vocal about these very issues you know so little about.

It would take me a whole day to comment on all the wrongly stated 'facts', bad conclusions and odd opinions of yours in that 10-page thread alone. But since David and a few others already did a great job explaining many things to you and that didn't stick, i probably won't waste my time.

Although i should, since some people might actually get the impression that you know what you are talking about. [​IMG]Especially since you keep mentioning that you have a friend who is a compressionist as some sort of backbone for your misconceptions which most likely doesn't do his knowledge justice (since you are misinterpreting his comments just like mine).

You should come off your high horse and start to listen and learn.

16. Jeff Kleist

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

18. Jeff Kleist

I didn't notice that Damin. Regardless. The very definition of backstabbing is performing something behind someone's back, and the LAST place you do such an act is a public forum/chat. Bjoern had his chance to be there, he decided not to take it. THEREFORE he shouldn't be upset when we call his methodology flawed and there is no one there to defend him

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

20. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Gentlemen:

This type of talk about each other is going no where. End it now and leave it alone.

Parker