Van Helsing

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob clamer, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Bob clamer

Bob clamer Supporting Actor

2. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the update. I found this film to be an absolute blast, so I'm looking forward to the DVD.

3. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Universal has bumped it up to September 28th.

In addition to that tidbit, also newly announced is a Van Helsing: Ultimate Collector's Edition. This three-disc set will feature the film plus bonus materials on disc 2 and the classic films Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man on disc 3. There's no SRP for this set. Stay tuned for more details on this one as they are released.

4. Bob clamer

Awesome!!!! That will be a must have.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Not really, unless you haven't already purchased the new "Legacy" sets of Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolfman. If you have, then it's just a wasted disc needlessly increasing the price of the 2-disc set you really want.

I really don't understand the thought process at Universal Home Video.

6. Bob clamer

Don't have the "Legacy" sets so this will be well worth it for me. [​IMG]

7. Gerhard

Gerhard Stunt Coordinator

I think Universal could give us a DTS track on this DVD release to compensate for the bad story/review it got!

8. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    Wow. That's a nice package, considering I don't own any of the Legacy collections. Too bad the film stank.

9. Casey Neal

Casey Neal Auditioning

I can't wait, I really enjoyed this movie. I already have the Legacy sets, so I'll just be getting the 2 disc version.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm

Is there a 2-disc version? It was my impression that there's a 1-disc standard release, then the 3-disc special edition. Unless the standard release is to be a 2-disc package?

11. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

What's up with Universal and their DTS support lately? They put it on DVDs for dialogue-driven films like Lost In Translation, Dazed & Confused SE, and The Breakfast Club, yet movies that could really take advantage of it like Seabiscuit, Hulk, and Van Helsing get the shaft(at least in Region 1).

12. Casey Neal

Casey Neal Auditioning

I assumed the regular release was a 2 disc version because of the amount of extras. I thought that the only differences between the regular and 3 disc edition were that they were adding the Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman movies on a 3rd disc.

13. Casey Neal

Casey Neal Auditioning

According to an update on the Digtal Bits today there is going to be a one disc and a 3 disc version.

I guess the one disc will be a bare bones disc since disc 2 of the 3 disc set will have the extras.

So, it looks like if you want the extras for Van Helsing you're going to have to get the 3 disc set even if you already have the original Universal monster movies.

I'll probably end up getting the 3 disc set for the extras, but it is disappointing that I'll have to pay extra for movies that I already have.

14. Casey Neal

Casey Neal Auditioning

On second thought maybe I won't get the three disc version, because Amazon, Deep Discount and DVD Empire are all asking around $40 for the 3 disc set. I really enjoyed the movie, but that price is ridiculous. That price can't be right, can it?

15. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

That does seem expensive, especially from a "Canadian" perspective!

Hell, the 3 disc "Mystic River" set didn't cost that much...

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Universal Store has it for pre-order at $44.98, and they're usually at $10 or so off MSRP, so MSRP list must be at least $54.98.

And it does look like the only way to get the special features is via the 3-disc set.

Universal asks everyone to bend over yet again. [​IMG]

17. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

I don't think they understand it either.

I'll give this a rental at the very least.

18. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Thre have been many Universal movies I didn't buy because of this issue. i wasn't going to buy a bare-bones disc when an SE was available, and I wasn't willing to pay near what they wanted for the SE. Hell, I just bought Red Dragon last week after find it shipped for under $12 in the Amazon marketplace. I still haven't purchased Seabiscuit or several others.

19. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Ezydvd now have up the Australian R4 specs, which is due out on 8th Sept. Listed as a 2 disk for AUD30 so looks much better. There is no mention of DTS but given they have one disk for the film only plus commentaries and no French language track should hopefully be included (like Hulk, Scorpion King etc).

20. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Maybe they know the sales volume won't be that high, so they're trying to get as much money as possible out of the few who will buy this film and want extras.

Even an ending that wasn't laughably bad might have saved this movie and made it fun for me, but alas, it lost me about halfway through.