Van Helsing Gets Animated Direct-to-DVD Prequel

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Lane, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

http://www.animatedbliss.com/news.asp?TID=310
    (cover-art available at link)

Van Helsing: The London Assignment
    STREET: 5/11/2004
    S.R.P.: $14.98
    RUN TIME: 30 Minutes
    AUDIO: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
    CAPTIONS: English
    SUBTITLES: French, Spanish
    VIDEO STUDIO: Universal

Unveiling The Extraordinary Beginning of The Van Helsing Adventure With the All-New Original Animated Film Prequel.

From The Director And Producers Of The Motion Picture Van Helsing Stephen Sommers and Bob Ducsay. Features the voice of Van Helsing star Hugh Jackman.

Loaded with bonus features, including cast and crew interviews and an in-depth look at Van Helsing's groundbreaking special effects.

------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that this was completely unexpected, but I'll definitely be checking it out.

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am glad they were able to get Hugh Jackman to do the voice. I always hate when they to movie/tv cartoon adaptions and don't get all or at least most of the live action cast.

3. Bob Pierce

Bob Pierce Stunt Coordinator

This is AWESOME! Thanks for posting, Joshua.

Great idea on the part of Universal, and taken together with the promotion of the movie, and the forthcoming "Legacy" DVD sets, this is shaping up into one brilliant marketing campaign. Somebody over there is definitely on the ball! [​IMG]

- Bob

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    That came out of left field... I'm only moderately interested in the film, but this may help spur my interest.

As to the comment about who does the voices... I actually prefer good voice actors to mediocre actors doing their own work... because voice acting really is a different beast.

But anyway, this looks interesting. And Bob, you're right, this is good marketing. I really wish more work like this was done. When are they going to realize that DVD can work to your advantage!

5. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

What are the "Legacy" DVD sets?

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

this is quite unexpected indeed and just might buy this

8. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Er... I just noticed something. This comes out on 5/11, but the movie itself comes out on 5/7. That's kinda dumb. This is a prequel and is basically intended to hype the movie, so it should be released BEFORE the film.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Some balls calling it a "film" when it only runs for 30 minutes. Sounds more like an animated infomercial to me.

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Or it could be something along the lines of THE ANIMATRIX which truly added to the backstory of the MATRIX TRILOGY. Who knows? A lot depends on who they got to do the animation, how good the script is, etc. I don't know that I'd pay what they're asking for it, though.

11. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I know there's a lot of enthusiasm for this upcoming film, here and on the various horror boards as well, but I'm afraid my old heart just isn't pounding on Van Helsing.

Yes, the effects in the trailer look cool. If effects are enough to please you, then Van Helsing may fit the bill. I've learned that, for me, effects won't save the day if the story isn't good.

Frankly, I pretty much hated both of Sommers' Mummy movies. Neat effects, but the banter undercut the excitement and the monsters were turned into action villains, and it didn't work for me. They both came across as very expensively produced, bad comic books.

Van Helsing looks to be more of the same.

As for the prequel, the cover art, posted elsewhere, looks dreadful. The pose, the blowing coat, the upraised gun, the generic style...it all looks cliched and amateurish.

Sorry to be so negative about a film that many people are anticipating eagerly, but The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen put me in a pissy mood last week that, apparently, I still haven't recovered from. I honestly hope I'm wrong about Van Helsing and that it's magnificent. But that's not how I'm betting.

Jan