What's new

Van Halen w/ Sammy... No love?? (1 Viewer)

John McM

Second Unit

there is a difference between liking a band "for old times sake" and thinking they're still making relevant music. I mean, I grew up in the 1980's too and I loved acts like Pat Benatar for example. But while I have seen Pat in concert before, I will be the first to admit she really hasn't done anything worth writing home about since 1993. Okay, VH music brings back good memories and good times, but honestly, you think their recent music rivals "Van Halen" or "1984"??? Most bands have their moment, and that's it. VH had their moment for a really long time (I'd say 1978-1992), but the moment is gone now. You can be out of your prime and still make relevant music, but VH really hasn't impressed me since (I)F.(Yo)U.C.Knowledge, and the only way they probably will impress me again is if they get back with DLR.

There's nothing wrong with embracing music artists younger than you, I like a lot of acts younger than I am and don't feel shame about it. Times change, I still love the artists from the 70's, 80's and 90's, but I also will open my ears to new acts too, it's the way time changes. This past year, I saw David Bowie, Prince, Madonna, Maroon 5, Alanis Morissette and Franz Ferdinand. There, a 70's icon, 2 80's icon, a 90's icon and 2 current bands. And I will admit that while I love them all, neither Prince or Alanis is exactly what they once were. Nothing wrong with opening your ears, even if you might be older than the artist, or if they are not part of your childhood.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's like that at all. Eddie and Alex have extremely signature styles - you can tell either is playing in just two bars. Michael Anthony's (and to a much lesser extent Eddie's) backing vocals are amazing and indespensible to the VH sound. And as a bass player I actually like Mickael Anthony's bass playing. No pyrotechnics (occasionally a very nice run, like in "Summer Nights") just some hard rockin' groove that works perfectly in the total sound of the band.

I think you'd be able to recognize Van Halen as "Van Halen" with any singer and it would definitely sound like the same band! I just tire of the non-stop barrage of (sometimes brilliant) 3 minute Love/Party pop songs.

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator

One of "those guys" the drummer is Alex Van Halen and IMO one of the top 10 all-time drummers.

I saw Van Halen twice Once with Sammy on their Balance Tour and they were AWESOME. Alex was wearing a neck brace like he had been in a accident and hurt his neck.

And then with Gary Cherone and they were terrible. You could see the confusion, and tension trying to blend in.

I wanted to see them on their current tour but $ 75.00 per ticket too damn high !

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You have got to be kidding me.. Alex is great like Keith Moon was great. He's got a unique sound and style and is integral in the band as a whole... But taken on his own technical merits he is awful.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I think he meant that the two versions of the band sound different songwriting/production wise, not on the individual musician level. I agree that they have signature styles, but Roths voice and persona added a slightly grittier component to the band that has been absent since he left.

/Mike

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
IMO, the frist six albums are must haves, along with 5150. The rest of the catalog is spotty/hit and miss, with For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge being the best of the later catalog. Also, pick up Best Of Vol. 1 just for Humans Being and Me Wise Magic.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nope, because wrt to "top 40" stuff which is all you hear on the radio these days (thanks to a handful of corporations controlling everything)...it *does* all sound the same. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks