What's new

Van Halen is back!! Tour date announced!! (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Holy Crap these lyrics are bad! I thought it was a joke the first time I heard it, but alas, so disappointing.

The riffs are actually pretty good, Michael's bass work is very good.

However the song overall is lifeless, very sad news....:thumbsdown:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I really used to like Van Halen when I was a kid. I even thought that 5150 was pretty good. After that, I felt that they went kinda soft. When Hagar left, I lost all interest. I just don't know that I could get excited about a reunited Van Hagar. I know that DLR is a bit of a drunken prick, but he was part of what made the original VH great. Maybe they should just pack it in.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Did Eddie write these lyrics? Or did his son Wolfgang?

I mean, it might be time to hang it up...or bring David Lee back, I don't care how friggin crazy that guy is, he's meant for VH

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I went to the show this past Sunday night...

You can tell the band hasn't played together in a long time. ;) During the sound check, they had to go over the chorus of "Finished What You Started" about 4 or 5 times because Sammy kept getting lost. :D The funny thing was, when they played it during the concert, you can tell they got lost because they didn't know how to end it and they all started laughing. After the song, Sammy threw his arms around Eddie and whispered something, then they both started cracking up.

Anyways, the backstage tour was no big deal because the band hadn't even arrived so you just bascially got to see all the wiring, but the sound check was awesome! There were about 100 of us, so it was quite intimate. A bunch of people were yelling out songs and Eddie would play the riffs. He and Sammy even came out and started talking to us. Then they all came out and signed autographs. Eddies son (Wolfgang) was there too (which I'll explain why later). Since it was Mikeys 50th birthday, we all sang Happy Birthday to him.

For the concert, I was in the 2nd row, center stage. The seats were SWEET! The bass alone was enough to practically throw me off my feet. (Hey that rhymes :D). They started out with "Jump" and then went into a few older tunes. If I can recall most of them...they played "Unchained", "Top of the World", "Panama", "Seventh Seal", "Poundcake", "Best of Both Worlds", "Humans Being" and others. The set list was quite similar to the set lists we used to hear back in the mid 90's.

Michael Anthony did his typical bass solo where he just made a lot of noise and bounced around the stage. Alex did his typical drum solo. Sammy played "Eagles Fly" accoustically and sang, but Eddies solo was the best (of course). He did his typical solo, but at the end, he started doing "316" at the front of the stage...after a few riffs, he stops playing but the guitar still played the riff, to which his son walks out on stage with a guitar. From interviews, Eddie has talked about how awesome Wolfgang is and that he's definitely following in his fathers footsteps.

It's amazing how much Wolfgang looks like his mother :eek: - They both were out there playing off each other. It was quite a sight. Especially with it being Fathers Day, that must have made it even more special to Eddie. You can tell how proud he was of Wolfie.

The concert ended with 2 encores. They ended with "When It's Love" which seemed a bit of a downer to end on, but it was still an awesome show.

EDIT: The full set list:
Jump
Runaround
Humans Being
Up for Breakfast
Mike's Solo (bass)
Somebody Get Me a Doctor (Mike singing)
Poundcake
It's About Time
Al's Solo (drums)
Top of the World
Why Can't This Be Love
Sammy's Solo (Eagles Fly/Deeper Kind of Love)
The Seventh Seal
Best of Both Worlds
Eddie's Solo
Dreams
Ain't Talkin''Bout Love
Right Now

Encore:
Finish What Ya Started
Panama

2nd Encore:
When It's Love

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, I went to the show this past Sunday night...

You can tell the band hasn't played together in a long time. ;) During the sound check, they had to go over the chorus of "Finished What You Started" about 4 or 5 times because Sammy kept getting lost. :D The funny thing was, when they played it during the concert, you can tell they got lost because they didn't know how to end it and they all started laughing. After the song, Sammy threw his arms around Eddie and whispered something, then they both started cracking up.

Anyways, the backstage tour was no big deal because the band hadn't even arrived so you just bascially got to see all the wiring, but the sound check was awesome! There were about 100 of us, so it was quite intimate. A bunch of people were yelling out songs and Eddie would play the riffs. He and Sammy even came out and started talking to us. Then they all came out and signed autographs. Eddies son (Wolfgang) was there too (which I'll explain why later). Since it was Mikeys 50th birthday, we all sang Happy Birthday to him.

For the concert, I was in the 2nd row, center stage. The seats were SWEET! The bass alone was enough to practically throw me off my feet. (Hey that rhymes :D). They started out with "Jump" and then went into a few older tunes. If I can recall most of them...they played "Unchained", "Top of the World", "Panama", "Seventh Seal", "Poundcake", "Best of Both Worlds", "Humans Being" and others. The set list was quite similar to the set lists we used to hear back in the mid 90's.

Michael Anthony did his typical bass solo where he just made a lot of noise and bounced around the stage. Alex did his typical drum solo. Sammy played "Eagles Fly" accoustically and sang, but Eddies solo was the best (of course). He did his typical solo, but at the end, he started doing "316" at the front of the stage...after a few riffs, he stops playing but the guitar still played the riff, to which his son walks out on stage with a guitar. From interviews, Eddie has talked about how awesome Wolfgang is and that he's definitely following in his fathers footsteps.

It's amazing how much Wolfgang looks like his mother :eek: - They both were out there playing off each other. It was quite a sight. Especially with it being Fathers Day, that must have made it even more special to Eddie. You can tell how proud he was of Wolfie.

The concert ended with 2 encores. They ended with "When It's Love" which seemed a bit of a downer to end on, but it was still an awesome show.

EDIT: The full set list:
Jump
Runaround
Humans Being
Up for Breakfast
Mike's Solo (bass)
Somebody Get Me a Doctor (Mike singing)
Poundcake
It's About Time
Al's Solo (drums)
Top of the World
Why Can't This Be Love
Sammy's Solo (Eagles Fly/Deeper Kind of Love)
The Seventh Seal
Best of Both Worlds
Eddie's Solo
Dreams
Ain't Talkin''Bout Love
Right Now

Encore:
Finish What Ya Started
Panama

2nd Encore:
When It's Love

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Except for the new songs, it looks like the same setlist from their previous tour with Sammy. Very disappointing. :thumbsdown:

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Except for the new songs, it looks like the same setlist from their previous tour with Sammy. Very disappointing. :thumbsdown:

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review and set list Mark. Must have been a very cool experience at the sound check. Good stuff with his son coming out to play. How old is he? As far as the set list goes, I would liked to have seen more pre-5150 songs, but oh well. It'll be great just to see Eddie again. C'mon Aug 1st!!!

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the review and set list Mark. Must have been a very cool experience at the sound check. Good stuff with his son coming out to play. How old is he? As far as the set list goes, I would liked to have seen more pre-5150 songs, but oh well. It'll be great just to see Eddie again. C'mon Aug 1st!!!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Wolfgang is like 12. As far as the set list...I assume they are a bit rusty from not being together for like 8 years (as was apparent at the show) so they probably had to go with songs they were used to playing together.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Wolfgang is like 12. As far as the set list...I assume they are a bit rusty from not being together for like 8 years (as was apparent at the show) so they probably had to go with songs they were used to playing together.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit

Well, they played Unchained on opening night in Greensboro (and several other shows) which to my knowledge, Sam has only sung a time or two and that was back in the extended Carnal Knowledge tour.

Plus they're playing Humans Being which Sam had never sung live, so it's not quite the same setlist.

Great show and great to see the boys back, by the way! :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_C_T

Second Unit

Well, they played Unchained on opening night in Greensboro (and several other shows) which to my knowledge, Sam has only sung a time or two and that was back in the extended Carnal Knowledge tour.

Plus they're playing Humans Being which Sam had never sung live, so it's not quite the same setlist.

Great show and great to see the boys back, by the way! :emoji_thumbsup:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
From the June 23rd, 2004 edition of the Boston Globe....

How cool! Well, not the smoking part. :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I should chime in with my experience.

Awesome!

Here are the songs I remember them playing:

Jump (what they started with)
Poundcake
Right Now
Poundcake
Why Can't This Be Love
You Really Got Me (First Encore?)
Panama
Dreams
Right Now
When It's Love (Second Encore?)

I think they played three songs from their new album or somesuch. At least three more songs I can't think of right now. And of course, there were the solos from the four members, and "Eruption" by Eddie Van Halen was awsome. The only disappointment I had was that they didn't play "Dance The Night Away".

Their opening band wasn't that bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks