Van Halen is back!! Tour date announced!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

2. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Aww, c'mon Danny, you beat me to it! I've been waiting months for Van Halen news so I could scoop the HTF and start a VH thread! [​IMG]

Word on the VHForums is a press announcement is coming Friday morning. Rumor also has it that Bloodhound Gang (wtf?) might be an opening act.

Whoever they get, I'll just be glad to hear the few new songs that will likely be included on Greatest Hits Vol 2 and also to see them live again.

It's a good day for Van Halen fans! [​IMG]

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

OK, so I clicked on the link to see who would be doing the vocals, and under the link for "The Band" there's a bio for Ed, Alex, and Michael. So, they are a 3 piece?

OK, not likely, so, I assume that Sammy is doing the vocals?

BGL

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

On April 30th, Sammy will open his Cabo Wabo Cantina in Lake Tahoe. On May 2nd, a concert there will feature "Sammy Hagar and Friends." This comes from Sammy's official website. Hmmmmm.....

Greg, sorry about beating you to the punch....

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Wouldn't the term "friends" exclude the boys in VH?[​IMG]

BGL

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

on today's (3/23/04) news section of Billboard.com it states that Sammy is touring with them as vocalist.

7. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

8. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

YES!! Between Greensboro and D.C., I will be catching this tour! Hard to believe it's been eight years since Sammy left, though....

9. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    While I MUCH preferred the DLR-era version of the band, I'll still check them out on tour just to hear Eddie rip it up again. Hopefully if they record again with Sammy they'll stay away from the cheese.

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

This is the BEST news I've heard in a long time. Big Sammy and Van Halen fan, which makes this version of VH the BEST for me.

11. ElevSkyMovie

Rumour was that there would be around 80 summer dates. Hopefully more dates will be announced soon since they aren't coming to my neck of the woods.

Everyone blames the cheese on Sammy, but Eddie is the one who pushed in that direction. He was pushing that way on Diver Down and 1984.

Now as for cheesy lyrics, Sammy has had his share. I hope they are friends again and that the time apart will light a new fire under them to come up with some really fresh new stuff.

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I really hope these have grown wiser with age.

Can't wait for VH to show up at San Jose/Oakland.

13. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Please. Roth was the one pushing to do all the covers and cheese from Diver Down.

Or by "cheese" do you mean keyboard songs? If so, you better go back to Women and Children First for "And the Cradle Will Rock".

14. ElevSkyMovie

The Roth fans call the Van Halen songs with synths cheesy, that's what I was referring to. I didn't say that diver down had the first keyboards, just that Eddie was pushing from early on to add keyboards to their music and he pushed them into a more pop direction. Maybe that's one reason Dave left.

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had no problem with the keyboards they used.

My big problem was the heavy tilt towards pop music that seemed to coincide with Sammy's tenure in the band.

Hopefully things will be different this go 'round. [​IMG]

16. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    What a load of crap! No Vancouver date???

17. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

I must say that I thought seeing this band hit the road again was about as likely as Steven Spielberg doing a genuine commentary track on one of his DVDs. I'm glad to see them back, and I hope they can really work together again. I also hope the tour is extended because there are no dates even close to my area.

18. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'm just glad they didn't use that third singer that everyone has forgotten about!!!

19. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I'm not a big Van Hagar fan (much prefer Roth), but I will say Hagar is a great interview. He was on Stern this morning (via telephone). He talked about how great everyone is getting along, much better than it ever was. Howard was even playing tapes of an old interview where he said he would never play with them again and was badmouthing Eddie big time. Good stuff.

So what's the over/under on when the "conflicts" start up again? I give it a month into the touring.

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Dear Sammy & Eddie: Forget about your egos, and keep in mind the music you're going to play, the fun you're going to have, and the money you're going to make. [​IMG]