Van Gundy resigns as Knick coach....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lee, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Wow, that was a surprise. I mean, the Knicks weren't doing too well this year (still struggling to stay above .500 ball), but given their dearth of top-tier talent at some crucial positions (say, point guard and true center) as well as their abominable draft history, I suppose one can't be too surprised. Anyway, the press report says Van Gundy claimed it was "for family reasons," if one believes that.
    Still, he leaves behind quite a record (third-winningest Knick coach, playoffs every year he was coach, as well as a trip to the 1999 finals) for a guy that many assumed would be a stopgap choice, an interim guy until some more high-profile, media-slick fella could be hired. Now see how he compared with guys like that (e.g. Pat Riley, Rick Pitino, John Calipari), and one can only be faintly amazed at how well the man, who looks more like the guy who does your taxes than an NBA coach, was able to do in the tank of sharks that is the New York sports world.
    (And how many coaches would jump into a player fight and try to break it up by hanging onto a player's leg like some lovestarved puppy? [​IMG] )
    Thanx for all you did, Jeff.

2. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Farewell, Jeff. You were a great coach to a mediocre team. Thanks for the great memories. (Yes, the Alonzo fight comes to mind) [​IMG]
    Always a Knick fan,
    Rick

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Well, I've always hated the knicks but I do respect Van Gundy as a good basketball coach. I'm not sure which direction the knicks will go from here (performance wise).

Jon

4. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I've been a Knicks fan since the Riley years. (I needed to follow some team other than the Bucks and their sub-par quality in the 90's.)

When I went to ESPN's web site earlier, I was stunned. I mean, I was just at the game on Tuesday where the Knicks rolled over the Bucks. Camby's back and really helping (but who knows how long he stays healthy.) The Knicks finally seemed to be getting on track.

We'll see how the Knicks react tonight against the Pacers. I wonder what they'll do for a coach the rest of the year.

I'm sure we'll see Van Gundy again, but who knows how long he'll be 'burned out.'

Regardless, I have to give props to the guy. From upsetting the Heat in the 1st round - then going to the finals (at a time when people thought he'd be canned after the season) -

to breaking up fights, to being punched in the face (albeit accidentally) by Marcus Camby, the guy was a great coach for New York.

5. Anthony Lopez

Good for him, did you guys see how tense he looked most of the time ? At least he can finally get some rest. Seriously though, he's a great coach and he will be missed.

6. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Perhaps Portland can hire him to replace Mo Cheeks who is not doing that good so far. Portland wanted to talk to Van Gundy before they hired Cheeks (who was Portland's 5th choice) but the Knicks wouldn't let him talk. I'll bet Whitsett has been waiting in the sidelines for this. With the money Portland's owner Paul Allen has, he can afford to buy out Cheeks's contract and hire VG. At least I can dream....:p)

7. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

Now if Tim Floyd would follow his lead.... LOL [​IMG]

8. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Maybe Latrine Sprewell threatened him.

9. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Ha....ha.....ha. Boy, that was real funny, Baggy.