VAMPIRE LOVERS MGM Special Edition DVD News!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George_Reis, Nov 29, 2001.

1. George_Reis

George_Reis Stunt Coordinator

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Graet News!

MGM is really doing a great job with their Midnite movie & horror catalog.

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    YES INDEED!

It finally looks like MGM is starting to put so care into their catalog movies/DVD's.

It looks like MGM will have some decent Special editions for 2002.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    George, it seems that you had something to do with this release becoming a special edition. As a Hammer fan, you have my eternal gratitude if this is the case. Hey, if MGM wants to include a photo of a very cool German poster I have for the film, get in touch! It might be neat to have it in the supplemental section. [​IMG]

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

This is really good news!

Forgive my ignorance with this, but wasn't 'Vampire Lovers' part of a trilogy of sorts? And if so, have the other two been released on DVD as barebones and/or special editions?

Long live Hammer Horror!

Joseph

6. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Joseph, I hold in my hands one-third of the Karnstein Trilogy, the new "Lust for a Vampire" dvd from Anchor Bay (just bought it an hour ago, honest [​IMG] ). Yes, "The Vampire Lovers" is another third of this series, and it's wonderful that MGM is going to do it up for it's dvd release, but woe is me, there is no word whatsoever on the other third, "Twins of Evil", coming to dvd. That one is my favorite of the three, and I would be extremely happy if dvd rights to this film were cleared up once and for all and whoever ends up with them would put the damned thing out already. I think MGM has the rights, but they say they don't know who has the rights whenever asked about it. I'm like "so find out!" Geeze. Sorry, didn't mean to go off there. [​IMG]
    Sign my petition, and maybe we can get 'em to light a fire under their lawyers butts and secure the rights. [​IMG]

7. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Ben,

Twins of Evil is probably my favorite as well. It's good to hear that 2 of the 3 films have been addressed.

I used to watch these films (and other Hammer movies) on VHS compilations that a friend would send us. The highlight of these tapes (other than the films themselves) was a 20 minute string of nonstop Hammer trailers, all shown back to back. Some of the coolest stuff I've ever seen.

Cheers,

Joseph

8. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    That's great news, George, especially since you were apparently the key to the whole thing happening! Looks like the already-great "Midnite Movies" series is going to get even better next year, with this and the Christopher Lee commentary on the Hammer version of HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959). Excellent.
    Hopefully, MGM will decide to commission director Val Guest to do likewise for a DVD of THE QUATERMASS X-PERIMENT (1956), thus completing a fine film/DVD trilogy. I'm also hoping they'll do something similarly special with BURN, WITCH, BURN (1961, aka NIGHT OF THE EAGLE).

9. George_Reis

Thanks must go to Jonathan Sothcott and the people at MGM for making this all possible. Hopefully this is the start of a lot more special DVDs!

10. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

11. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Good work George!![​IMG] Now get MGM to release Witchfinder General (not the rescored "Conqueror Worm") onto DVD as an SE [​IMG]. Cheers.

12. George_Reis

WITCHFINDER GENERAL I believe is a title that Jonathan would like to do and it really deserves special treatment.

13. Eric Wickitt

Eric Wickitt Agent

14. George_Reis

The Midnite Movies are my favorite DVD series, and these things go for only $9.99 at Best Buy! How can you beat that? Great covers, great transfers, and best of all, really fun films and choice classics from the drive-in era.
    Long live the Midnite Movies on DVD!
    www.dvddrive-in.com

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

This is one of my favorite vampire films. It can get into my hands FAST enough!

16. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...this reminds me of the HOME VIDEO Companies that are the DOERS versus the WHINERS.

MGM, 'the 'lil company that could' has suffered lackluster financial performance in years past, yet they are GO GO GO! with their titles, large or small-and their prices CANT be beat!

Then there are companies like, say...PARAMOUNT....who whine that they have limited resources, 'can just barely make a profit' and 'cant afford to do 'small films', or whine that they simply 'cannot' charge less than $29.95 for discs-even bare-bones editions...

and for the most part seem somewhat aloof, clueless and out of the loop...

it amazes me that MGM have literally taken the ball and run with it...and remember how this forum despised them a year ago?

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

In a similar vein(pun intended), I do not buy the whining about catalog films not being cost effective. These companies put out a lot of LDs. I cannot imagine the economies of scale for the entire production of a Laserdisk being less than a DVD & the market was a lot smaller. I'll grant that some source material may be in bad condition on older films, but it all can't be like that. And if it is, shame, shame, shame on the studios!!

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'd like to interject a little perspective here before we get into a big MGM lovefest. While they are doing right by a number of their titles, there is still a lot of inconsistency when it comes to catalogue. Of the titles listed as coming out next year at least half aren't anamorphic, particularly foreign film or westerns, and many of the discs released in these genres this past year have been pretty poor. It's great that they are taking care with some titles, but they need to be more consistent. All films deserve to have their best presentation on DVD. Adding extras is a bonus.