What's new

Value of DVD/Bluray Collection (1 Viewer)

nomen

Auditioning
Real Name
z
I have looked around this forum and others, but decided this one would be the best to get an answer to my question. I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this thread is in the wrong place.

When I started collecting, I soon realized that I could fill a room very quickly. So, I decided that, when I got a disc, to put the disc in one of those thin CD/DVD cases and to store the original case separately. That way, I could store at least twice as many discs in the same space.

Over the years, I have collected nearly 2500 discs with roughly the same number of original cases. Even though I am storing the original cases in my attic, I am finding that space is getting tight. If I decide to downsize my house some day, storing those cases could be rough.

Basically, my question involves the value of my collection, but with a twist. I know how much I have paid for my collection. My question is whether the value is in the physical disc or in the original case that the disc came in. If the value is in the disc, I can consider whether to trash the cases.

Thanks for any advice.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Probably not a question that would go into a digital codes for sale section but to the value of what you have there is no way to know that until you try to sell it.

You could go to eBay and see if anything you have has sold.

nomen

Auditioning
Real Name
z
I guess that is why I am asking about the cases. Everything I have seen on prices show pictures of the original cases. I have seen nothing that appears to show values with or without the case. So, it sounds like at least some of value must be in the case.

RadRoj

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrin
In My opinion and for me, none of the value lies in the case unless it is a collectors case that is different from the mass produced plastic ones. I have a few of the metal tins and an Army of Darkness case that is made out like the book and those would add value, not a case with a piece of paper that shows me what Bruce looks like. Of course, that is just for me, ask your insurance agent and see what they say makes a difference for insurance values.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Moved to the physical media forum.

Personal opinion: Pennies on the dollar. I'd sell a mixed collection of 100 DVDs for $50. 100 Blu-rays for $100-$200 dollars.

Disks not in cases? 100 DVDs for $25 max. 100 random blurays for $100 max.

Remove anything that is a CE or rare and sell it individually, not as part of a package.

nomen

Auditioning
Real Name
z
When I asked my insurance agent if it was worth modifying my coverage, he basically blew me off saying something like it would already be covered on my policy. Considering what I have invested in my collection, not sure that makes sense, but....

I do have a few collector cases, but by far most are the standard cases. It sounds like it might be worthwhile to sort thru the cases.

RadRoj

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrin
Insurance agents always say that. What that means is that it is covered under your contents value, but so is everything else that you own, clothes, dishes, silverware, furniture, etc.. I would check to see if they have a maximum coverage for those and what proof is required that you owned them. If you are looking at replacement value in case of a total loss, then you are using retail cost and that will eat up 25k+ of your contents replacement value. Some items have a maximum value covered under your home owners policy, my tools and records are examples. I now have a separate rider for them because of what it would cost me to replace them in case of total loss.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have a disc value dilemma that’s about to rear it’s head.

we just ordered a 4K tv si won’t have a way to watch any 3D movies in another week from now.

So I have to figure out the best way to sell over 100 3D discs for the highest value I can get.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Basically, my question involves the value of my collection, but with a twist. I know how much I have paid for my collection. My question is whether the value is in the physical disc or in the original case that the disc came in. If the value is in the disc, I can consider whether to trash the cases.

Thanks for any advice.
Bumping an oldie but goodie regarding this perennially nettlesome issue in insurance matters regarding valuation. Perhaps you've since made the move to a smaller house.

Whether it be what you originally paid or what it would cost to replace the disc, valuation is likely going be negatively impacted by the absence of original packaging. IF (and it's a big "if") your insurer were to accept retailer links to comparables to establish valuation (I'm currently in conversation with Lemonade, which accepts such links for bicycles and cameras--it remains to be seen if they will for packaged media), that pricing includes packaging. For instance, the high, low and median values on Discogs all contemplate the whole package.

It seems to me that trying to make a valuation case sans packaging can't ever be in your favor when these companies are always already looking to undervalue your wares.

If space is still a problem, I'd look at disposing only of common cases (CD jewel boxes, DVD Amarays; could be a great opportunity to trash wretched BD Eco cases) and retaining anything 'special' (Digibooks, Steelbooks, box sets) which mos def contribute to value.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Insurance agents always say that. What that means is that it is covered under your contents value, but so is everything else that you own, clothes, dishes, silverware, furniture, etc.. I would check to see if they have a maximum coverage for those and what proof is required that you owned them. If you are looking at replacement value in case of a total loss, then you are using retail cost and that will eat up 25k+ of your contents replacement value. Some items have a maximum value covered under your home owners policy, my tools and records are examples. I now have a separate rider for them because of what it would cost me to replace them in case of total loss.
Exactly. "Sublimits."

Do you mind sharing the name of your insurance company? One of the things I'm sussing right now is what companies are willing to do such a rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks