Value of Dreamcast Alloy Arcade Stick

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Yee, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I have an alloy arcade stick for the Dreamcast. At the time of purchase it was a popular/rare item. I am wondering what I could get for it if I were to sell it now.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Hmmmm, difficult to judge. The only DC arcade stick that seems to be sought after is the Agetec "official" arcade sticks - large boxy looking things that frequently go for upto $50-55 on eBay.
    [​IMG]
    The Alloy Arcadestick definitely isn't as sought after by the DC hardcore players/collectors - that's not to say its worthless, I just don't see them as often. The other "unofficial" sticks (like the lower quality Enforcer) tend to go for around $20 at most... So I'd guesstimate $30-40 due to the higher quality of the Alloy stick ( though it's not as good as the excellent Agetec one!).

3. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'd be curious to compare the two. The arcade stick is a nice change of pace, but ultimately I find controllers more usable overall. I suppose it'd be a different story if I were standing up and playing the game.

When I bought the alloy I managed to get it for around 50.00 while some were selling for as much as 70.00 on Ebay. I think I'll just hold onto it for awhile.

4. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

The alloy stick is the most sought after of the arcade sticks. The Agetec is easier to find (but could use a Hap button and stick upgrade), thus it litters eBay on a regular basis. The alloy stick is much more rare, compared.
    And it looks awesome to boot. [​IMG]

5. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It does look very cool. Its probably the main reason why I'm holding onto it because I really don't use it much. It works great with House of the Dead if you really just want to plow through the game. Set the switch to rapid fire and hit both fire and reload buttons and you are pretty much unstoppable. Sad to say that's the only way I can make it through that game! [​IMG]

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Sure, the alloy went for $100-$150 (now $80+) when they announced its discontinuation. The Agetec brought in about $50 when its discontinuation was announced but can be had in Buy-It-Now auctions for $35 - What I picked it up for. It is also readily available. Despite its flaws, after a few Happ ugrades the unit performs closer to the arcade ideal. (But then again, after the Happ upgrades, it ceases to be an Agetec [​IMG] )
    The alloy stick, complete with cleaning cloth, is a rare find these days. And I imagine as the Dreamcast continues in this collectible trend, as more and more people come to realize that the DC was a great unit undeserving of the quick death it received, the Interact Alloy Arcade Stick will again rise in value. But alas, my hunt for one has become difficult as they are becoming harder to find.
    I can throw a stone and hit an Agetec any day of the week on eBay. The alloy stick requires patience. [​IMG]
    But in the end, I'd recommend a MAS stick or an equivilant. [​IMG]

8. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    When I first had the stick it was actually defective, but rather than send it back I cracked the baby open and figured out the problem. The program button never worked, but everything else does.

The responsiveness is a little different than the handheld controller. Executing moves is more consistent when you move/push buttons in a rapid sequence even though it should technically be simultaneous. Does the Agetec work the same way?