What's new

Value/meaning of THX certification? (2 Viewers)

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
I found another speakers system with 5.1 channel and DTS DD5.1 decoder.

The Yamaha TSS1B "True 5.1 Surround Sound System with Built-in Dolby Digital and DTS Decoder"

OUTPUT POWER
48W Total Power (6W per satellite x 5), 18W for subwoofer

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
40Hz - 20 kHz

INPUTS
2" Digital inputs ( 1 optical, 1 coaxial); 2 analog inputs

For more information http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/...kers/tss1b.asp

I know there is nothing to compare, exept for the decoder, with the Klipsch i have mentionned in my last post. But the price is not the same at all! Since the Klipsch DD5.1 cost 499$ USD the Yamaha cost only 265$ CAD so 180$ USD so it might be a good suggestion for person with a tight budget.

Hope it will help someone

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
OK... The Klipsch looks sweet...But the price... Do you know where I can get it for less than the $499 retail?
Thanks!
Eric

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
It's hard to me to find a place for you since i'm in canada. But you can use the Dealer Locator on the web site to find the nearest dealer from your home or even go to your computer reseller they are usually able to get everything which can be connected to a computer and maybe even better price.

My friend have one of the older Klipsch system and believe me it rocks!

Good luck on finding them ;)

Edward Mueller

Auditioning
Dont forget one thing,.. if you dont need the decoder the normal Klipsch Promedia 5.1 are 399$ and can be found on the web for between 299 and 350$ easily. It cost less but as you can see on the specs above in my first post the system seem pretty good. I hope you've understand that there is a difference between Promedia 5.1 and Promedia DD 5.1 as the DD version is the one with the decoder. In my first post i've send you specs of the Promedia 5.1 too (at the end of the post) because no specs were available on the web site but everything seem to tell that the two speakers set is the same except for the decoder which is another hardware part. You can even buy it alone without speakers.

I know 100$ more is a lot but if you think about it, when you already paid 400$ for a speakers set for your computer you could spend the few 100$ more for a speaker set which meet your expectations. Instead of one humming badly..
That's my opinion but yours can be different and i dont know how is your budget but think about it.

Edward

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Ed. It is worth it to me. I think I will return these and go for the DD. It looks like the DD package is simply the standard ProMedia 5.1 packaged with the DD decoder. In fact, if you purchase them seperately, it is slightly cheaper... Odd.
Thanks again.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
No, I haven't yet... I have to wait until their regular business hours of M-F 7-5. It is on the top of my list for tomorrow.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
OK.

Be sure to keep us posted on it... I'd definitely like to know if the replacement solves the problem, as I'd be quite interested in getting the Z-680s if they can fix the buzzing problem.

I'm sure I'm not the only one. :)

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
OK, here is the skinny from Tech Support at Logitech (after 20 minutes on long distance hold)...
I spoke with Rocky today. He told me the only solution was to return the product to where I purchased it for a replacement, or to send it to Logitech for warranty repair (for replacement).
I asked him if it was possible to simply replace the control pod or any other part instead or sending the system back, at my expense, and not being assured I wouldn't get another humming unit. He told me it is hit or miss and I would just have to take the chance.
Can you believe that? Nothing better than that! It is pretty rotten for a reputable company to put out a sub-par product, but market it as the best, only to not really support it when it does not perform.
I think I am going to call again and see what the next guy says.... I will let you know!

oh -- Rocky also mentioned that the complaints so far have been buzzing from the sub only. I am pretty sure mine hiss/buzz from all speakers (I am at work right now so I cannot check).

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, here is Logitech's contact information for anyone else who wants to try:
Logitech Inc.
Corporate Headquarters:
6505 Kaiser Drive
Fremont, CA 94555 USA
+1 510-795-8500 Main
+1 800-231-7717 Sales
+1 702-269-3457 Customer Support
www.logitech.com

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Clubmac agreed to exchange these for me, at their cost, so I am going to give it a shot. The tech at Clubmac said he is aware of the issue, but that it isn't very common so an exchange should fix it... We'll see.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
I called Clubmac, where I purchased these, and I spoke with Robert in Tech support. He is a sharp guy and he gave me a link to an article over at IGN.NET that describes a non-published fix by Logitech. Here is the link: http://gear.ign.com/articles/383/383537p1.html

It simply states this:
The "hiss" issue is a known problem that can affect the Digital SoundTouch Control Center of the Z-680, specific to the 1.03 version of the Control Center's ROM.
We are actively working on a fix that should be available to customers by the end of January. Our customer support staff has been given a series of troubleshooting steps to determine if the Control Center is affected by the hiss issue. If customers are experiencing a higher than normal level of hiss, they should contact our customer support staff, so it can be determined if it is indeed the Control Center.

For affected customers, Logitech will replace the Control Center with an updated unit at Logitech's expense. (This is for both EU and US customers). Logitech is dedicated to providing the best possible product experience for all of our customers.
I'm calling right now. I will let you know. God only knows why the first Tech support guy I spoke with at Logitech acted like he knew nothing of the fix... Figures.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I KNEW I saw that on IGN... just couldn't find the post.

Lets hope they're a bit more forward to you on the phone than they were before. :)

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
So far, tech support is still denying this fix. They are checking with supervisors now... I am on hold...

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Yep... Jeff said he spoke to his supervisors and "We are only replacing the European control pods".
I then asked if I could speak to the Public Relations folks myself... I am on hold now again...
I told Jeff to expect more calls like mine. He was very nice about it all and said that would be great, so they could fix a problem if one existed.... It's like I am the only one calling in... I hope not!
...on hold still....

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
No go... Jeff said there will be an update of some kind out by the end of April. He did not know what kind of update that was. I will call their corporate number now to see about this. That number, for you others who want to call, is 510-795-8500.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
OK... Left a message with Ms. Garcia @ the retail marketing division (that was the closest I could find to PR).

Matt Simpson

Auditioning
I think you'll find the hiss coming from all speakers. Rocky's good word or no

I will say that it appears that this is being fixed (quietly). Along with what's available on the web I can add that I now have 5 friends with this set. The first 2 bought thiers over a month ago and there is an audible hiss. The other two just got theirs and have no hiss/buzzing at all. According to Dell, the set I ordered late Feb. (which then immediately went on back-order) shipped today, so I'll let you know if mine share this problem

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Good news!
Here is a letter I just received from Logitech:
Hello Eric,

Thanks for your voicemail - I apologize for my delayed response - I was on a business trip since last Friday. I am sorry to hear that you received a different answer from customer support than the one posted on IGN.com. We
are indeed replacing control pods for the Z-680. I spoke with customer support last week before I left regarding this specific issue - at this time we are out of stock in the replacement units, but we have ordered additional units. Of course, customer support will need to verify that you have the version of the POD that is being replaced - they will most likely ask you to give them a few details from your unit. Once they have verified
that your unit needs to be replaced - they should be able to get you out a new pod once the shipment arrives.

I have passed your email address over to our in-house customer support person that handles the speakers- he will contact you directly in order to resolve this issue.

My best,

Susan
I will once again call tech support to arrange for the swap (which I hope I qualify for!).
-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks