Value/meaning of THX certification?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricTownsend, Mar 5, 2003.

1. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the new Logitech THX Z680 speaker system for use on my PC and for a small room speaker system. It is a very nice looking and nice sounding system, BUT there is one caveat... There is a constant buzz/hum from the speakers whether there is input or not. Just powering them on brings on the buzz.
    The thought occurred to me: What exactly is THX certification and is it of any value when a certified system still exhibits poor qualities..? I assume the buzzing is from a somewhat low quality amplifier, or more specifically, from a low quality power supply.
    Can anyone shed light on this, and is it reasonable for me to expect a THX certified device to be free of background noise?
    By the way, I noticed a couple reviews of this product that mentioned the annoying buzz. Of course, that was AFTER I purchased them.
    Thanks,
    Eric Townsend

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

sounds reasonable...i take it your former speakers didn't do this?
    The people who do THX certification do not publish what the requirements are. That's vewy vewy hush hush. You have to submit a product to them and a check.

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i'll put it this way...i emailed them some time back looking for spec's on cables. their reply to me was that they don't publish specs however if i wanted to know if my product met their specs (unknown) to mail them a sample and they would then contact me with the appropriate fee to be paid to them for that THX logo.

5. EricTownsend

uh-huh... Sounds like greasing the wheels to me. I suspect the THX logo is getting too comercial for its own good. There was a time when I placed a lot of stock in that logo, but now, with all the "lesser" THX certifications out there, the waters have been muddled & one would wonder if a THX logo is just that, a logo, not certification of any kind...
    I think I will shoot off a letter to Logitech and maybe even Lucas THX to see what they say. I will let you know!
    -Eric

6. EricTownsend

I just popped over to Logitech's site... They provide this FAQ for Humming, Popping, Hissing, etc...
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

They have an interesting statement about hiss:

7. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

And if the finish on the speaker doesn't look right, close your eyes.

8. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I put no faith in anything THX anymore, the funny thing was when I worked at a movie theater back in the day it was nothing more than a crossover in the audio rack thats it, nothing else. Many people did and still do mistake THX as a format like DD, or DTS when in fact its not. Alot of people put THX on a very high pedestal and act as if you're gear is "not worthy" unless you have the THX logo on it, take for instance Yamaha, not a single reciever not even the flag ship has the THX logo on it and its not that they dont at least meet if not I'm sure exceed any specifications that may exhist its simply because Yamaha does not see the value in paying Lucas to use a logo to sell more recievers. Take for instance THX Select as its called, by all means nothing more than a way for Lower Line companys/recievers to say that they are "THX Certified" yet then theres Ultra 2 for those "high end" systems like rotel, and klipsch aragon series etc. to me THX is a joke anymore aside from there cool intro's what noticeable difference is there in a THX certified DVD or even reciever, its negligable if you ask me.

9. EricTownsend

I agree. In principal, I think Lucas would like the consumer to believe they require certain levels of performance, but in reality, the process (as much as I can get from their website) includes ergonomics, marketing, and installation.
    So.... To REALLY be THX certified from a performance standpoint, my speakers would need to be dedicated LCR and diffuse surrounds that are properly placed in my room with optimum cabling and connectors.
    So.... My Logitech speakers are only THX in name (ergonomics, and marketing). For one thing, according to lucas, the

10. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

LucAss Film no longer owns THX.

Creative Labs does.

11. Jeremy:L

Jeremy:L Agent

Eric, check out this thread...

http://discuss.extremetech.com/extre...?msg=21250.428

The short story is that Logitech has come out with a new version of the control pod, and has even sent a couple out in Australia. As far as I know the US tech support is still denying that it even exists.

12. EricTownsend

Ron L, are you serious or being fasicious?

New pod huh? I think we should all start hammering Logitech with emails requesting replacements.

My biggest reason for keeping these is the optical input... Anyone know if the Creative Megaworks 6.1 has optical inputs? Their website is terrible with details.

13. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Eric: Near as I can tell, The Z680s are the only computer speakers with optical inputs. If that's what you're looking for, I'd stick with what you have, as I think it will be a while before we see optical input on another computer speaker set.

Regarding your problem:

I've heard (though I can't find the article at the moment) that Logitech has encountered a lot of problems with the unit with regards to noise, and has been quietly going about fixing it. I'm not sure if getting a new control pod will fix the problem, but I recall seeing that it would probably help. I'd say its worth a try.

14. JeremyFr

Wow Ron I thought you were messing around but they spun off from Lucas in 99 though it says that lucas still retains ownership, there site doesnt specify who owns them but merely states "private investors" very interesting more reason for me to not like THX.

15. JeremyFr

heres a story posted on there site to verify your claim

16. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

"Take for instance THX Select as its called, by all means nothing more than a way for Lower Line companys/recievers"

Yeesh and here I thought my Onk 787 "THX Select" was semi
    high end... [​IMG] I thought the 1056.00 price tag at the time
    was high anyway...

LOL

I guess I should have went with the Ultra II... Maybe next
    time.. For now I have to focus on sending them samples of
    my RadioShack wires to get THX Certified first.. ROTFLMAO!

17. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I remember reading (a while back) that Creative has indeed bought out THX. My guess is they wanted THX certification on their sound cards (among other things), which is probably easier if you have a controlling interest in the certification company. [​IMG]

Interestingly enough, Creative announced its first THX-compatible consumer sound card (the Audigy 2) shortly after aquiring a stake in THX. Quite an interesting coincidence, eh? [​IMG]

Eric: Near as I can tell from the website, the Megaworks 6.1 speakers have one digital minijack (i.e. headphone size jack) for a Sound Blaster Audigy card, and one pair of RCA (i.e. standard White/Red) plugs on them.

I again have not heard of any speakers besides the Z-680s that have an optical input onboard.

Regarding the THX certification on the Z-680s: I think that the certification for computer speakers is a fair bit less rigorous than the certification for individual component systems. I wouldn't put too much stock in the THX certification in and of itself.

Be that as it may, I still think you have a nice system. TheZ-680s are quite high up there on my wanted gear list. [​IMG]

18. EricTownsend

With Creative owning a controlling interest in THX, that puts an interesting spin on things, ie.. Logitech and Klipsch (among others) are now helping to support Creative Labs... That is, as the name states, "creative" in itself! It is like Intel: Own enough of the industry licenses and you can perpetuate your own work.
    Yes, I agree, these speakers are very nice and I think they are keepers the more I listen to them. I sent an email to Logitech yesterday regarding the problem. I will let you know what (if anything) they say. I may try and call too, if I get time.

19. JeremyFr

You know the other thing I found funny is they said that THX ex is the same thing as DD ex so really all recievers have THX then if you think about it[​IMG] hehe but seriously its become quite clear that THX is nothing more than a gimmick to raise the price tag of a product and put more money in the hands of a select (no pun intended) few people/companys. Its kind of like Circuit City and there whole DIVX thing. Oh well I've never supported them in spending the extra money on a "certified" product and now I have even less reason to.

20. Edward Mueller

Edward Mueller Auditioning

Since you seem to have a problem with your logitech products and logitech support, you should return them or sell them on ebay.

If you want the same fonctionnality as your logitech speakers system... here is what Klipsch has to offer, i think they are the only other manufacturer offering build in decoder and optical connector, the Klipsch ProMedia™ DD 5.1 Multimedia Digital Decoder Preamplifier offer Optical/Coaxial Digital S/P-DIF inputs/ 3 Analog Stereo inputs.

Web site link

http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?ProdID=24

The logitech are not that good anyways most Creative product out perform logitech product easily espacially the Megaworks series. http://www4.tomshardware.com/video/2...peaker-02.html

Here are some quotes for the Klipsch above..

"... Klipsch's satellites produce richer, thicker sound and don't seem to hiss as much [as Logitech's Z-680 system]."
    — by Greg Vederman, PC Gamer, December 2002

"...provided more of a home theater-like experience, especially with the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers cranking out surround sound. These speakers are just about the best available for computer-based audio, and when coupled with the Creative Labs Audigy sound card, provide super surround/sound realism, with gizzard-grabbing bass. Pop a copy of The Fast and the Furious or Gone is Sixty Seconds into the DVD drive, and you'd swear the cars are zooming through your living room."
    — by Ted Needleman, Tech Edge, December 2002

"Ideal for a small home-theater setup but equally adept at gaming, the [Klipsch ProMedia] 5.1s are anchored by a freak-nasty subwoofer boasting dual 8-inch drivers. Toss in five two-way satellites, and you have a recipe for ear damage. But these babies aren't just about volume — they also offer crisp, clean sound reproduction regardless of how loud you play them."
    —Maximum PC, September 2002

Here are the specs for the the Klipsch Promedia 5.1

THX® Certified 5.1 system with analog discrete 6-channel inputs, for 5.1 PC soundcards and other 5.1 sources

500 watts, RMS, 6-channel BASH amplifier.

25-20,000 Hz frequency range

Four 2-way satellites, one 2-way center channel, and a dual driver 8-inch subwoofer.

Undistorted sustained output level capacity in the listening position. Up to an impressive 113 dB!

Seem very good to me, on paper at least..