1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Value Electronics 2018 TV shootout

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert_Zohn, Apr 12, 2018.

?

Help me decide on when to put on our 2018 TV Shootout

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2018 at 9:01 PM.
  1. Schedule the event for early June as I originally planned

2. Reschedule the event for end of October to include the two new flagship TVs

3. Go ahead with early June TV Shootout and do a second TV Shootout at the end of October

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Robert_Zohn

Robert_Zohn Value Electronics
    Insider

Robert Zohn
    OK folks I need your advice.

We've been planning our 2018 TV Shootout since early January when I attended CES. Up till a few days ago I was planning to put the TV Shootout on in early June. But now that Samsung has announced the new flagship Q9S series and it's been rumored that Sony will have the successor to the very popular Z9D, possible named the Z9F, we'll considering delaying the evaluation event till end of October.

So here's my three choices:

- Schedule the event for early June as I originally planned

- Reschedule the event for end of October to include the two new flagship TVs

- Go ahead with early June TV Shootout and do a second TV Shootout at the end of October

Please vote, comment and ask questions. Also bring fellow enthusiasts here so we get a big sampling of video enthusiasts. The higher the volume of voters and comments we get will help us make the best decision.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I still hope to make this year but can’t schedule that far in advance.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I have to admit that my reason for wanting one in June and a second in October is a selfish one. I'm going to be in a position this summer to buy my first new TV in almost a decade. Since I know it has to be one that will last me for probably another 8-10 years, I want to be able to make the most-informed purchase possible.

Robert_Zohn and Sam Posten like this.
  4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Awesome, I hope you enjoy your 2018 LG E-65 =p

5. Brian Kidd

Supporter

I wish. Sadly, not wanting to be served with divorce papers means that I'll have to stay firmly out of OLED land for the time being. Doesn't mean I can't dream, though.

6. 6 Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Prices keep dropping. You’d be very happy with a 2017 E. I know I am. It lacks nothing.

Your post doesn't make any sense to me tho. If you aren't in the market for the leading contender for the shootout, due to price, why even torture yourself over it? The delta between the OLED and FALD / LED isn't nearly as far as it used to be, and nothing that isn't at least FALD is going to be part of the shootout.

On a 10 year buying cycle a $3k TV is $300 a year. Seems a small price to pay for all we get out of the hobby...

Sorry to be such a temptress =)

7. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    @Robert_Zohn If I were you, I'd just do it in June as originally planned. IMO, Smart TV's nowadays seem to have bugs that need to be fixed as soon as the TV is released. The LG 2018 OLED's will have a few months to "mature" via firmware updates in June, and even more time in October. So by the time consumers are purchasing the TV's during Xmas, bugs are ironed out.

Sony and Samsung's decision to release their models later in the year near the holiday season suggests to me that they are lagging behind schedule. When they are released, they could be outshined by the LG OLED, not just because of technology, but due to immature firmware.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  8. Brian Kidd

Supporter

FOUL FIEND!!! ;)

For me, being able to see which companies seem to put the most effort into their flagship devices gives me at least a decent baseline when looking at TV's in the range that I can reasonably afford. I don't know. I love to see what is possible in a high-end device because it gives me things to look for in mid-range devices. I'm a little hesitant to invest in OLED right now, simply because it's still kind of the new kid on the block and, though beautiful, the word is still out on longevity and durability. I'm going to have to settle for a 55" (I know, poor, poor me.) so the price won't be quite what the 65" sets will be. I have options and a little wiggle room as far as what I'm able to spend and I'm in a situation this time when I can afford quite a bit more than I normally would be able to spend.

Plus, I just love A/V technology and equipment! :)

9. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    @Robert_Zohn I'll be the contrarian here and would aim for two if you have to. We don't want the shootout too late in the year for all those who make purchasing decisions based upon it, but that said, for the rest of the competitive products coming out in Q4, it would still be good to see where they stand vs the new LG 8 series OLEDs.

Robert_Zohn likes this.
  10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    @Brian Kidd That's fair. I agree with you in principle, but in practice most of the jumps from mid to high end include underlying panel technology changes. You can't really judge how a mid range LED is going to compare to the top end FALD and OLEDs in my experience.

11. Brian Kidd

Supporter

While that's true, you can get an idea of the direction that companies are headed. Last year's high-end is often this year's mid-tier. It helps me make a decision about what features are important to me and whether or not I should go ahead and get a TV now or hold on to the money in anticipation of an important feature showing up in a more reasonable set next year. My current TV is definitely showing its age and, of course, isn't 4K, but it still works. In all honesty, I don't think there's anything on this year's sets that is going to make me want to hold out until next year, but there may be something that convinces me to throw in some extra money on a nicer set this year, rather than sticking with the mid-range ones.