Value Appraisal Please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff S, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Looking for a little help. I've got a Yamaha RX-V995 Receiver to sell and I'm currently looking through friends to sell it off to one of them, but I need to find a perfect price so that I can sell it quick and not loose any money.
    I've been trying to sell it for $450. Is this a good price?
    I bought it in mid 1999 for $999 + tax = $1,100
    In perfect condition. Totally mint.
    But people I know piss me off when it comes to money.
    FRIEND #1: "Geoff, that's a very nice receiver. Wow! Incrediable! I want one!"
    FRIEND #2: I'd love to have one like that!
    FRIEND #3: "Let me know if you ever get tired of it. I'll take it."
    GEOFF: "Hey, by the way guys, I'm selling that receiver, only $450!"
    FRIEND 1, 2 & 3: "It costs money? We don't want it."
    GEOFF: "BASTARDS!!!"
    I hate loosing money (like anyone else), but considered going to $350. I don't want to sell online cause i don't feel like shipping it, and packing it in a new box and doing all that, just want to do a face to face item for cash, but everyone I know is poor, or cheap. I know one thing, whoever gets it at a price cheaper than what I wanted isn't getting any help from me when hooking it up. I might just screw up the settings real bad so whoever does get it has to read through the manual for 10 hours trying to fix it. That'll learn them to spell out a little more cash and get better quality from their purchase [​IMG] .
    Anyhow, in the midsts of all my ranting, Thanks for any insight y'all can dish out.

2. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

Just did a quick poking around. Someone on Audiogon.com is currently selling one for $300. An ebay search of completed items shows that in the past two weeks, they've sold for between $260-$435. Good luck.

3. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

Geoff,
    Based on my experience with friends, it is very difficult to try to sell to them. Usually, their interest is superficial. While I understand your reluctance to sell online, that unfortunately, is where most of the serious interest will be. You can always put it up for sale and hope for someone local.[​IMG]

4. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

Geoff,

Depending on how much gear you've got, you could always try to set up a second system. That's always an option.