What's new

Valerie Harper has died at 80 (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
valerie.jpg

Same age as Mary.

It's been a while but I think I remember her some times stopping a little to enjoy the laughter from the audience during MTM. Early on maybe...?

Sorry she lost her battle. Will miss her being around.

I haven't seen the Rhoda Show since it first aired. Will fix that.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/valerie-harper-tvs-rhoda-died-80/story?id=18906182

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I read this when I logged back on tonight and was very sad to see it. She brought a lot of pleasure to me over the years, and she will be missed. Yes, she did eventually lose her battle, but she gave it a long, brave fight and gave us some fine work even after her initial diagnosis had suggested she might not survive. So, good for her! Peaceful thoughts for her friends and family.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I often rewatch TMTMS on Hulu. A pure classic. Definitely watch "Some Of My Best Friends Are Rhoda" from season two. Outstanding.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
MeTV will have a "Best of Rhoda Morgenstern" salute to Valerie Harper on Sunday September 8th.

metvpresentsthebestofrhodamorgenstern.jpg

Sunday, September 8, 2019 (All Times are Eastern/Pacific)

5:00pm-5:30pm: The Mary Tyler Moore Show – "Rhoda, The Beautiful"
Rhoda enters a beauty contest but continues to put herself down.

5:30pm-6:00pm: The Mary Tyler Moore Show – "Is a Friend in Need"
Rhoda loses her job, but Mary doesn't tell her about an opening at WJM.

6:00pm-6:30pm: The Mary Tyler Moore Show – "A Girl's Best Mother Is Not Her Friend"
Rhoda's mother visits with the intention of being her daughter's best friend.

6:30pm-7:00pm: The Mary Tyler Moore Show – "Where There's Smoke, There's Rhoda"
Mary and Rhoda are best friends, but can they be roommates too?

7:00pm-7:30pm: Rhoda – "Rhoda's Wedding Part 1"
Rhoda's wedding day has finally arrived and is filled with mishaps.

7:30pm-8:00pm: Rhoda – "Rhoda's Wedding Part 2"
Complications may ruin Rhoda's wedding day.

I don't agree with all the choices. The Wedding" and "Rhoda The Beautiful" are great episodes but the others are just OK. I think the ones where Rhoda dates Phyllis's brother, decorates Lou's House, and dates Lou are funnier episodes. The one where Rhoda's sister got married and Nancy Walker's first appearance on MTM were better than, the Nancy Walker episode chosen. This sister was not carried over to the Rhoda show.

A bit of trivia. The gown Rhoda wears in the last scene of 'Rhoda The Beautiful" is the same gown Valerie Harper wore to the 1971 Emmy Awards where she won her first Emmy. I happened to watch both clips on youtube after she died and noticed it. She lost the weight after the first season.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
MeTV will have a "Best of Rhoda Morgenstern" salute to Valerie Harper on Sunday September 8th.

metvpresentsthebestofrhodamorgenstern.jpg

Sunday, September 8, 2019 (All Times are Eastern/Pacific)

5:00pm-5:30pm: The Mary Tyler Moore Show – "Rhoda, The Beautiful"
Rhoda enters a beauty contest but continues to put herself down.

5:30pm-6:00pm: The Mary Tyler Moore Show – "Is a Friend in Need"
Rhoda loses her job, but Mary doesn't tell her about an opening at WJM.

6:00pm-6:30pm: The Mary Tyler Moore Show – "A Girl's Best Mother Is Not Her Friend"
Rhoda's mother visits with the intention of being her daughter's best friend.

6:30pm-7:00pm: The Mary Tyler Moore Show – "Where There's Smoke, There's Rhoda"
Mary and Rhoda are best friends, but can they be roommates too?

7:00pm-7:30pm: Rhoda – "Rhoda's Wedding Part 1"
Rhoda's wedding day has finally arrived and is filled with mishaps.

7:30pm-8:00pm: Rhoda – "Rhoda's Wedding Part 2"
Complications may ruin Rhoda's wedding day.

I don't agree with all the choices. The Wedding" and "Rhoda The Beautiful" are great episodes but the others are just OK. I think the ones where Rhoda dates Phyllis's brother, decorates Lou's House, and dates Lou are funnier episodes. The one where Rhoda's sister got married and Nancy Walker's first appearance on MTM were better than, the Nancy Walker episode chosen. This sister was not carried over to the Rhoda show.

A bit of trivia. The gown Rhoda wears in the last scene of 'Rhoda The Beautiful" is the same gown Valerie Harper wore to the 1971 Emmy Awards where she won her first Emmy. I happened to watch both clips on youtube after she died and noticed it. She lost the weight after the first season.

Nice to see this happening. Although I agree with you about the choices. Yours are better.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I always have to check to make sure JOhn Amous is still around. He was an awesome sometimes overlooked TV dad

Georgette died months ago. I always thought she was like a younger blonde Edith Bunker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks