What's new

Vague question (1 Viewer)

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
What is the best rearprojection widescreen tv that i can get for under or around 2000 bucks? most of the viewing will be dvds and digital cable. not HDTV but digital cable. also in the range of about 40-55 inches. thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Andy, a vague question usually gets a vague answer. We know nothing about your listening/viewing area and only a little about your viewing preferences.

What have you seen on the market that piques your interest?

There are plenty of RPTVs in the $2,000-and-under range that would serve as fine centerpieces to a good home-theater system.

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
As of now the two tvs that interest me are: Toshiba 50HX81 and the new Sony KP-51WS500. Which of the two are better. I know that the sony has DVI, but is that really that imporant?

Brent_H

Second Unit
I really enjoy my Panasonic 53wx42....Looks amazing now, and after Gregg L. calibrates it for me (soon hopefully) I am positive I will wet my pants.

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
What is DVI and another tv has been brought to my attention the JVC 48 inch widscreen model number AV48WP30. while cheaper will it live up to the sony or toshibas?

DavidAM

Second Unit
I recently bought the 56" JVC (same as the 48", just a bigger screen) and love it. I was comparing it to the Sony 57WP500, the 53" Hitachi and the Toshiba and went with the JVC because the picture was clearer than the Toshiba and Sony and has better stretch modes. For regular cable, use the Panorama stretch and it looks great. The Hitachi had a little bit better picture, but the stretch mode was worse and was $500 more. The picture wasn't $500 better than the JVC so I went with the JVC. I've had it over a month now and am still happy with it. I think in the $2K range, JVC has the best picture/value ratio. Pioneer makes the 53" widescreen which looks better than all of them in the low $2K range, so you may want to consider that one, otherwise, I'd go with the JVC in your price range. Also, DVI is a new digital connection which may or may not become standard for hooking up a HDTV receiver. No one really knows what will happen and everyone has their own opinion on this subject. Its your choice if you want it or not for the future. What I do know is the JVC's have a DVI input and the Pioneer's do not. Good luck.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Regarding the DVI issue, here's what I've gathered so far. It seems that the preeminant opinion is that if DVI does get adopted--and there's a good chance it will at some level--it almost certainly will not affect over-the-air (ie. free) broadcast signals.

Basically, DVI is the primary candidate method that the hardware makers are coming out w/ to provide copy-protection for the premium program/content producers, eg. movie studios, premium sports events, etc.

IF DVI is adopted, one likely scenario is that all premium content would only be available in HiDef to people w/ DVI connections. Everyone else will likely get their signals downgraded to 480p. That seems to be the preeminant forecast now. But of course, if there are enough consumers w/ HDTVs that can't do DVI, things might change.

Again, this is just what seems to be the case to me. And personally, I've decided not to worry about DVI and am getting a set that doesn't do DVI. But that's because I have little to no interest in premium content--at least not until HD-DVD comes out, and that may very well require DVI if it's adopted. IF and when HD-DVD becomes a reality and is actually reasonably affordable, well, by then, I might be ready for a new HDTV anyway...

_Man_

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your help. I still haven't picked a tv yet, but im closer to making my decision. one more question is "burn in" covered by the parts and labor warranty when you first buy a tv?
thanks,
AP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks