Vacuum your speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, Mar 1, 2003.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I had lost some of the airyness (word?) of my Martin Logan speakers. I kept scratching my head wondering if my ears had changed or if there was some equipment problem because the stereo sounded quite dull and lifeless.

'Did a bunch of troubleshooting to the point that it really bothered me and I thought maybe the panels were starting to wear out. Panic starts to set in.

After reading many thoughts on cleaning or replacing the panels there seem to be two methods.

1) Vacuum the panels throrougly
    2) Remove the panels and literally take a hot shower with them. The panels are very strong but can attract dirt and dust. Believe it or not this is a recommended solution from Martin Logan. It sounded like a last resort.[​IMG]

All I did was spend about 5 minutes on each speaker with a fabric attachment. You know...the round attachment with the bristles. You could hear all the dust and particles being sucked up. The air and beautiful highs are back, midrange is smooth and I'm loving life and music again.

I thought this might help anybody with logans or other panel speakers. I could see maggies being a little more fickle.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

John, i'm sure it was a tough decision trying to decide whether to fix the problem by sucking them or taking a shower with them. Did you consider blowing them too? That might've dislodged some of the material. Glad it was good for you though [​IMG]

3. John Royster

Chu, that was just wrong.

But yes, it really helped. We have been doing drywall work in other areas of the house so there is a chance they became 'extra dirty'. [​IMG]

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

shoulda put some protection on them...lol

5. John Royster

Chu,

You can actually buy 'protection' for martin logan's in the form of socks that cover the speakers.

I for one am NOT putting a jimmie on my speakers. [​IMG]

But for anyone with logans or other planar speakers, its an easy trick.

6. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Vacuum speakers, that's just too funny[​IMG]. Glad they're back to normal for you.

Chu...all I can say is 'wow'[​IMG]

7. John Royster

What's so funny? (other than friendly bantering between my friend Chu and me)

The speakers sounded very dull. A quick removal of the dust and other stuff that electrostats attract was all it took. The panels are quite large at 4'x2'.

You wouldn't believe the amount of "stuff" I heard being sucked up by the vacuum.

-ps- Chu, house hunting is going well. One of the must haves is an adequate room for hometheater/music. We may have found one that fits the bill.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

best of luck...damned cold weather to be house hunting

9. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

you just need to be very quite and they will come along, and then bam its all yours

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think there's a call out service for doing that. Of course after doing both of them sometimes you need to have a smoke and a drink.
    [​IMG]

11. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

Also a good maintenance process to unplug them overnight once a month. It takes a few hours for the charge to dispiate (take a look at the electronics inside the speakers and you would know why). After the charge is gone, the static electricity on the panels is removed and the dust would simply fall off; courtesy of gravity. Also vacuming the panels would be more efficient since you would not be battling the static electricity also.

12. John Royster

Thanks Ross,

I never unplug them. Also I did pop open the crossover section as well. HUGE transformer and actually very beefy crossover with good quality components. Pinky thick wire going to woofer.

I thought modern Martin Logan's didn't have a "charge up" or charge down time?