Vacuum Cleaners

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SethH, Jun 21, 2004.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Anybody own a Dyson or Miele(?). I'm considering both. They've both gotten great reviews and seem to be great machines. Cost is fairly similar for both. Going to have two cats, so a nice vacuum is a must. Thanks for any input.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Anybody own a Dyson or Miele(?). I'm considering both. They've both gotten great reviews and seem to be great machines. Cost is fairly similar for both. Going to have two cats, so a nice vacuum is a must. Thanks for any input.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    dont get either of those, they suck...

(cmon, someone had to make the lame joke!)

CJ

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    dont get either of those, they suck...

(cmon, someone had to make the lame joke!)

CJ

5. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

what the hell?? dude its a phreakin vaccuum cleaner!! 30 DOLLAR flee market brands do just as good as any 500 dollar vaccuum. save your money and buy something cool with it.

Johnny

6. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

what the hell?? dude its a phreakin vaccuum cleaner!! 30 DOLLAR flee market brands do just as good as any 500 dollar vaccuum. save your money and buy something cool with it.

Johnny

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

Wrong, wrong, wrong. You are SO wrong.

I bought a Dyson "Animal" last year. I love it. It is easy to use, easy to clean, and has amazing suckitude. [​IMG] Like you, I have two cats, and this thing makes short work of the cat hair.

I never thought I'd say this about a vacuum cleaner, but it's just COOL. I love the way everything fits together, with built-in storage for the attachments, the way the extendable hose works, never having to deal with bags again, even the purple color. It's a triumph of industrial design. It truly is the vacuum cleaner for techno-geeks, and it's been worth every penny I paid for it.

And yeah, it's not cheap. But, heck, it's not like you buy vacuum cleaners every year. I did the research, and decided to go with the best. No regrets at all here.

Oh yeah, here's an earlier thread on Dyson:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=170147

In that thread a few people mention that canister models are better than uprights. Dyson now has a canister model if you want to go that way.

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

Wrong, wrong, wrong. You are SO wrong.

I bought a Dyson "Animal" last year. I love it. It is easy to use, easy to clean, and has amazing suckitude. [​IMG] Like you, I have two cats, and this thing makes short work of the cat hair.

I never thought I'd say this about a vacuum cleaner, but it's just COOL. I love the way everything fits together, with built-in storage for the attachments, the way the extendable hose works, never having to deal with bags again, even the purple color. It's a triumph of industrial design. It truly is the vacuum cleaner for techno-geeks, and it's been worth every penny I paid for it.

And yeah, it's not cheap. But, heck, it's not like you buy vacuum cleaners every year. I did the research, and decided to go with the best. No regrets at all here.

Oh yeah, here's an earlier thread on Dyson:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=170147

In that thread a few people mention that canister models are better than uprights. Dyson now has a canister model if you want to go that way.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

DAMMIT! I was going to say that! [​IMG]

10. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

DAMMIT! I was going to say that! [​IMG]

11. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Thanks for the opinion, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. I'm willing to bet there's an equal number of people out there who say "a $500 dollar speaker? a $30 speaker out of a white van will sound just as good!"

12. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Thanks for the opinion, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. I'm willing to bet there's an equal number of people out there who say "a $500 dollar speaker? a $30 speaker out of a white van will sound just as good!"

13. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

We are in the market for a new vacuum as well. I was all set to plunk my money down on a Dyson, then came across this site.

Dyson

Now I'm not so sure I'm willing to invest that kind of dough on one. Granted that is a UK site and maybe the issue was corrected before being made available in America. If it's been corrected, that could explain why there are a ton of refurb Dysons available on the net. Which is what I was considering. How long have you Dyson owners had your vacs? According to the comments, problems seem to pop up after a year or two.

Right now we are leaning toward this Eureka model.

Eureka

Not that I put much weight on Consumer Reports, but this did get a good review from them and the online customer comments I've been able to find back that up.

-Dave

14. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

We are in the market for a new vacuum as well. I was all set to plunk my money down on a Dyson, then came across this site.

Dyson

Now I'm not so sure I'm willing to invest that kind of dough on one. Granted that is a UK site and maybe the issue was corrected before being made available in America. If it's been corrected, that could explain why there are a ton of refurb Dysons available on the net. Which is what I was considering. How long have you Dyson owners had your vacs? According to the comments, problems seem to pop up after a year or two.

Right now we are leaning toward this Eureka model.

Eureka

Not that I put much weight on Consumer Reports, but this did get a good review from them and the online customer comments I've been able to find back that up.

-Dave

15. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I bought a Dyson Animal model a little over a year ago. Has to be the best vacuum cleaner I've ever purchased. Yes they are a little expensive but I've also purchased my share of $200-300 Hover and Eureka models and they don't come close. I have lots of pets and it's amazing how much pet hair this thing picks up. You can save a little money by getting the other models they sell. Costco has recently started selling them too.
    Get a Dyson. You won't regret it.

Jeff

16. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I bought a Dyson Animal model a little over a year ago. Has to be the best vacuum cleaner I've ever purchased. Yes they are a little expensive but I've also purchased my share of $200-300 Hover and Eureka models and they don't come close. I have lots of pets and it's amazing how much pet hair this thing picks up. You can save a little money by getting the other models they sell. Costco has recently started selling them too.
    Get a Dyson. You won't regret it.

Jeff

17. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I've had my Dyson for just about 6 months now. If it goes south, I'll report here. No signs of any problems yet, however,

18. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I've had my Dyson for just about 6 months now. If it goes south, I'll report here. No signs of any problems yet, however,

19. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Nonsense.

Now a Craptui out of a BLACK van... that's another story. [​IMG]

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Nonsense.

Now a Craptui out of a BLACK van... that's another story. [​IMG]