Vacation in NY city

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Geraldine/F/M, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Geraldine/F/M

I'll be taking a short vacation in New York City the last week of October. Any suggestions about activities and places to visit? I haven't been there since I was a teenager. (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth)

Thanks[​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Activities or places to visit???? If you can dream it, you can do it in NYC.

But I was flipping through a copy of the New Yorker and found a short write-up for the Dumpling Man chinese restaurant. I would have to eat there...mostly because chinese-style dumplings rule.

Also go to Toys R Us in times square and see the life-sized animatronic dinosaur!

4. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

Boy, there are so many great things to do here. It would probably help if you at least give some interests to help get started. Historical, cultural and so on.

Some things these days that are almost a must. Statute of Liberty, Empire State Building and maybe even the WTC if you are so inclined.

5. Geraldine/F/M

Thanks for the suggestions so far. As for narrowing it down, I love museums, music in the park situations. I love out of the way places verses the tourist traps. (I've lived in FL my whole life and hate touristy places!)

Orlando, I would go to the Statue of liberty, but have problems walking up stairs.[​IMG]

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I've recommended this before, but it's worth repeating. One of the most extraordinary museums in New York is the exhibit at Ellis Island, gateway to hundreds of thousands of immigrants. It's on the same ferry ride that goes to Liberty Island, but there's a lot more to see. I find it impossible to stand on the balcony overlooking the great hall where so many people first set foot in America, and not be moved.

M.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

www.nycvisit.com

I'm planning on going with friends the first weekend in November, but the NY Marathon will be happening on that Sunday.. bad idea?

Also unsure when the Radio City Christmas Spectacular starts but we plan on seeing it. Also a good Broadway play is always memorable.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Virgils!

9. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

If you'll be going to the city with people who have never been before, I highly recommend taking them over the Promenade walkway in Brooklyn Heights. It's got an amazing view of downtown and the Statue of Liberty framed into a great neighborhood filled with great bars, restaurants, and shops. You'll also be within walking distance of Jaques Torres' chocolate shop in nearby DUMBO.

BH is five minutes from downtown by subway (10 minutes by cab). Take the 2 or the 3 train and get off at the Clark Street Station (first stop outside of the city), or catch a cab just over the Brooklyn Bridge (you can ask the cabbie to drop you at Clark and Henry if you need an intersection). Walk four blocks west and you'll have a poster-worthy view of Manhattan (bring cameras). Hit Montague Street for some eating options, or take a short cab ride back to downtown for good eats in Chinatown, Little Italy, SOHO, Greenwich Village, Alphabet City (Lower East Village), or Tribeca.

So much to do, but so little time.

10. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I fully reccomend a tour on one of the double decked buses. You can get a great overview of the city and what you may want to explore in more detail later.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Ugh. I don't know why I have always had an aversion for those things. I just hate the idea of bus tours in general: "OK, this is the {landmark}". "Whoa". "{insert historical reference}". "Whoa". I will admit I never tried it.

--
    H

12. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

visit the outer boroughs to get a flavor of the "real" New York [​IMG]

13. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I had never done it either until about 3 years ago when my wife and i were there. To me it was a great way to look around and see some sites and then figure out where we really wanted to visit. You can hop off and on whenever you want too. One tour guide was making me laugh my ass off. He was getting onto the cops directing traffic and the drivers who kept clogging the intersection. He kept yelling "DON"T BLOCK THE BOX". Apparently you can get ticketed or maybe shot if you block the intersections.