Vacation ideas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Smith, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

The project I've been working on for the last two years is finally wrapping up. I get three weeks of R&R (basically free vacation time, but I have to take it immediately), and it's probably starting next Tuesday.

I want to take my wife somewhere nice, but I don't really know where to go! I'd like to keep the budget to around $2000 excluding plane tickets (I have enough air miles to get pretty much anywhere), for 8-10 days probably.

I was looking at Hawaii but it looks too expensive, the cheapest hotel room I could find on any island apart from Oahu was over $250 a night. I also looked at Cancun on a recommendation from a friend, but the number of hotels available is pretty overwhelming and I don't really know where to start. Plus, I don't know what there is to do there.

Any ideas? I'm open to just about anywhere warm and fairly laid-back, as long as there's stuff to do. My wife and I aren't the type who can just lie on a beach for two weeks.

Dave

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I have travelled a lot in Asia and although the airfare can sometimes be problematic there are some nice sights that can be easy on the budget. Some ideas in Asia:

Fly to Singapore, see the sights for a few days. Take the Orient Express to Thailand (a couple of days trip, I think). See sights in Bangkok for a few days. Either fly to Phuket (if you want to do the beach scene) or fly/bus to Chiang Mai (crafts, treking, river rafting, lots of temples, etc). Although you might have to do some careful shopping you might be able to swing it for around 2000. (edit: I checked fares on the Orient Express and unless you get a REALLY good deal that part is out. The rest still stands. :b )

Japan is nice to visit but would be nearly impossible on a 2000 budget.

Another option across the other pond would be Ireland. I only saw the areas around Dublin (since I was there on business) but there was plenty there and lots more in the rest of the country. Careful shopping should allow a 2000 vacation pretty easily.

That's as far as my personal experience goes. Good luck and happy planning.

Kenneth:b

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

California...you can rent a car and check out the whole coast, from San Diego, up until San Francisco. We drove from LA to San Fran then back to Las Vegas for a flight back home in about two weeks a while back, stopping in Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, Monterrey, San Francisco, and Bishop (boring town, but great honey-glaze donuts) on the way. We saw sea lions, otters, Cannery Row and Pebble Beach, rode the famous trolley cars, ate a picnic at the foot of the Pacific in Big Sur country and ate the greatest donuts from a pink box you'll ever taste. [​IMG] If you're looking to just kick back and not drive around so much, I'm sure you could find plenty to do for a week or two in San Francisco, or you could just hang around LA and go to all the great theaters the area members like to constantly brag about, making all other members insanely jealous. That is, all others except us Baltimorons, cause we got the Senator, hon.[​IMG]

4. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

What about Sunriver Oregon?

Great golf. Hiking, rafting, fishing, canoeing, mountain biking.

The resort has decent restaurants, swimming pools, tennis courts, horseback riding and lots of paved bike trails.

Also has an airport if you don't want to drive from Portland (3.5 hours that's a pretty scenic drive).

5. Michael Fennessy

Michael Fennessy Stunt Coordinator

Michael Fennessy
    I'm doing Disney World with the wife next month. Plenty to do there.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Oh man, if you ever down California Highway 1 from San Francisco to L.A., you have to drive it southbound so you can get the views from those outside lanes. Some of the most gorgeous scenery around. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    After swearing that I'd never go to Vegas, my friends finally browbeat me into going in October.

7. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

My favorite vacation spot is Bermuda. its a fantastic place, unlike anywhere else I have been to or am aware of. I don't think $2,000 would last 8-10 days there though (at least you wouldn't have to rent a car!)

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you enjoy the outdoors and hiking, check out these national parks -- Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Glacier. The first two are within a hour or so of each other, and Glacier is about a day drive from Yellowstone. You can easily spend a week or more in both Yellowstone and Glacier.

Bozeman, Montana would be a convenient place to fly into to reach these parks.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    ..If you really enjoy the outdoors, vacationing in Hawaii can actually be fairly cheap, especially if you've already got the airfare included from your FF miles. Up until a few years ago, camping permits at the state-run campsites were free, even now it's only like $5 or so a night so camping say in Waimea Park or in Polihale on the island of Kauai is cheap. And most of the campsites are car camping so it's fairly luxurious (as compared to backpacking). Even the campsite at the end of the Kalalau trail has pit toilets and a ranger hut but that's only if you are a backpacker and not just an outdoors person.

Depending on your timeschedule and how much you like the cool weather, fall in Acadia National Park is awesome, the summer crowds are gone and coastal Maine is a beautiful place to bike or hike or just visit the lighthouses or watch the leaves turn. A ferry into Nova Scotia is also fun and provides an alternative to bar harbor and stuff..

Jay

10. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Dave - it might make it easier if we know some of your hobbies! Why don't you list a few of your interests and a few of your wife's and we can go from there.

If you are into scuba diving, Cozumel (Mexico) is a good value. Dive in the morning, relax by the beach in the afternoon, hit the restaurants in the evening, rinse, repeat.

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I just got back from a 6 day trip to Belgrade Lakes in Maine. We stayed with friends, but I'm sure you could find a bed & breakfast on the water in your budget. Fly in to Portland Maine, and rent a car for the hour and a half drive.

Pictures are on my website.

12. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Might want to check out a cruise for the two of you they are a blast. On short notice you can also often times get great deals since they are trying to sell the left over rooms. You could do the Bahamas, or the Carribian, Alaska, etc.

KyleS

13. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    Here's a deal to Hawaii that might interest some.

]

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

How about the Florida Keys? Fly into Miami, enjoy the drive and view down US1-Overseas Highway, and stop at your own private cottage, on a private island- Conch Key Cottages.
    We stayed there back in Spring '98 for a week (paid about $1230 for the week, then), and got a one bedroom cottage facing the Altantic. It's about one hour (62.3 miles, to be exact) from Key West, a hard-partying town (if that's your thing), and about 1.5 hours from Miami. You could take day trips to both, or hang out in the Middle Keys and take a day-long sailing, scuba, etc. Watch the sunset on the Seven Mile Bridge (the one they blew up at the end of True Lies) in Marathon (don't forget to eat lunch there at Shucker's).
    It was serious relaxation. It bugged my wife at first, but she quickly fell into the laid-back routine. She's a "vacation over-planner," and ends up coming home more exhausted than when she left. However, looking back on it, we both agree that it was our best vacation ever.
    It might bust your $2000 budget slightly, though. It'd be worth it.[​IMG]
    Todd
    P.S. You could always come to my town, and do the Disney/Universal/SeaWorld/Busch Gardens/Kennedy Space Center thing.

15. Lisel

Lisel Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking into Costa Rica for some hiking and maybe mountain biking.

Lisel

16. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies.
    Hawaii: Just too expensive, plus I'd like more time to research a vacation there and do it properly. Maybe in a few years.
    California: I used to live in LA and have visited San Francisco often, so it wouldn't be anything new or too exciting for me if we went there. I love the area though!
    Florida: We did the Disney thing a couple of years ago and had a blast. But the Keys suggestion was pretty interesting, and I'm a sucker for theme parks [​IMG] We're flying into Orlando in a couple of weeks, having a couple of days at DisneyWorld, driving down to the Keys via Miami, spending a week or so down there and driving back to Orlando afterwards. Finish up with another couple of days at Disney and then back home. Can't wait!
    So Todd wins [​IMG]