Vacation giveaways...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, May 26, 2005.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Okay... so, like a dummy I signed up to win a big yellow Hummer at the mall a few weeks ago. Normally I avoid those things because it just winds up getting me a bunch of solicitors... but I was tired... and the Hummer was so yellow... I broke down.

Anyway.. I get a phone call that I've won.. not the Hummer, mind you... but a 3 day Wisconsin Dells getaway and a $1000 "internet shopping spree". My only obligation is to go and sit and listen to a salespitch for 1 hour about vacation packages.

Is there any harm in me listening to someone drone on about vacations for an hour? Do they try some sort of hypnosis to get me to buy a package? Do they barricade the doors until I buy something?

Anyone have experience with one of these outfits?

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Marriott tried to sell me on their vacation club by giving me a ridiculous low rate on a long weekend at one of their places. Nice place. I sat through the sales pitch and said no thanks and that was it. Great deal. Be prepared for a really hard sell and be ready to say no. These outfits expect lots of skeptical people like you.

3. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

I had won a simular trip one time. All we had to do was go and listen to this guy try to sell us some stainless steel pots and pans. So we went and sat, and they actually fed us. At the end, there was no obligation to buy their stuff and they handed us the package for the vacation. They did try their hardest to convince us that we were poisoning ourselves by eating food out of other pots and pans other than theirs. It was for an all inclusive vacation down in Mexico somewhere. The only trick was that you had to pay for your air fare down there. And it was only good for 1 year. You were responsible for all taxes and fees also which added up to about $200.00. We ended up not going. We did not have the money for te plane tickets and all.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Hey Dave, I'd really like this to happen to me, I could use the online spree to buy an SVS or a few more DVDs

What the hell, for a couple of hours why not?!

Brent

5. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

As mentioned prepare for some REALLY hard selling techniques, the last time we were in Orlando (had to run an errand, turned it into a long weekend) we signed up to go listen to the pitch on some time-share place, they fed us a decent breakfast, gave us some misc coupons and also paid us $100 in cash. We signed up for an early showing and it took about 2 hours. Those guys do a REAL hard sell, and any kind of information you give them they will latch onto and sell from that angle, etc.

But in our case the cash paid for the hotel stay, so it was well worth it. I imagine you have to watch out for "catches", but I'd bet it's a legit offer (they buy the vacation package for pennies on the dollar from volume, and rely on x number of people signing up for their package to make up for it).

Andrew

6. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

I'd had a similar situation, where I signed up for a contest with a vacation as a prize and was called and told that I won...but that we had to buy two $250 vouchers of some sort to be able to take the vacation. It ended up sounding too fishy to take seriously...especially when they refused to send us information in the mail about it.

7. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida

I'd get more details on the "internet shopping spree". I've seen this before and it ends up being some generic sight like USA Shopping or something, with garbage merchandise.

If it was Amazon or someone big like that, they'd mention the name. "internet shopping spree" is pretty generic, and I think that's on purpose.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Thanks for the info, guys (and gal).

Jerry, yeah.. actually the whole thing sounds pretty generic. There's no hotel name and no website name given to me... yet.

The lady is supposed to call me back about setting up an appointment tomorrow. I'll ask her then if she can tell me the names of the places involved.

Will keep you all posted. [​IMG]

By the way, they haven't given away the Hummer yet. In fact, someone here at work was just telling me that there was a thing on the local news how those mall raffles never give away the car... they just park it there and say "you could win this car".

If I do go to the sales pitch... I'm pretty good at being stubborn when I need to be. It's my wife I'm worried about. [​IMG]

9. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

My parents went to one and they start off with a really expensive travel package that give you lots of trips. They continue to reduce the price and of course # of trips. My parents actually ended up signing up and are using the travel service to go on vacation this summer for a really cheap hotel rate.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Lots of the travel clubs particularly the Marriot one are actually a very good deal if you takae advantage of them. They have a lot of memebers and a lot of properties and do volume discounts on services.

11. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

We did a similar thing as Jon_Gregory. REALLY high pressure sales. When I asked to leave and get our "package" after the pitch, the guy said "What, you don't want to talk to me no more" (add own NJ accent). I said no, we would like to leave. He almost convinced my mother-in-law (who was in town visiting and came along for the heck of it). When I got home I did an Internet search and there were 3 class action lawsuits in 3 separate states against the company. Also some investigative reporting in Detroit (I was in Virginia at the time) that had video tape of the same guy that gave our pitch, blatantly lieing about the "health hazards" of all pots and pans, except of course his.

also the vacation packages were incredibly restrictive and not worth it. We threw them out in the trash before we even made it back the car.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, after going back and forth between the scheduling lady and my wife trying to find an opening we can attend, I thought to myself "Yaknow... this is too much of a headache," and I told the lady to give my prize to someone else.

I mean, I don't feel like much of a winner when they're having trouble scheduling all of the other "winners".

13. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Our mall does this a lot and the first time it showed up I admit I got sucked into signing up..sure enough it was a pitch for some crappy resort around here.

Funny thing is how many people skamper to these fancy cars to sign up to win it.

14. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

Same gene that makes people buy lottery tickets even when chances are so small...many of us are driven by hope...