What's new

V : The Series - any news ? (1 Viewer)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have any news/rumours regarding the DVD release of V: The Series ?
I know that even most fans of the V miniseries don't like the weekly series but I still think that enough people will buy the boxset if they release it.
There are a lot bad episodes and the show was basically dead the moment Michael Ironside left - but there are also a lot of very good episodes.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
News is that NBC is having Kenneth Johnson work on a possible new V miniseries. If I were Warner, I would be planning to release V: The Series on DVD as a tie-in promotion to the new miniseries, if it got released at all.

I join you in hoping that this makes it to DVD. As silly as it got at times (the sandshark-type "crivit" thing in the episode (#3) that was skipped being aired on the original run, for instance), I still enjoyed it. Lane Smith was killer as Nathan Bates for most of the run, and even when the material sucked, the cast (who was shockingly full of talent) did their best to rise above it and bring it on for the fans. Nice, and worth having around in my collection. Totally.

Hey, what's bad ol' Jane Badler up to these days, anyway? The IMDB says she's coming back for the new miniseries (V: The Second Generation is the working title - oh, and incidentally ignores both "The Final Battle" and "The Series"), but other than that doesn't list much. Didn't she have a guest shot in an episode of The Lost World a while back?

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I read that she moved to Australia to film the 1988 version of Mission: Impossible. There she married an Australian, semi-retired and got a few children.

I heard about the new miniseries - but I also heard that it would ignore what happened in the series. That would pretty much rule out a tie-in release with the new show.
Unless they use the tagline "Get the V: The Series Boxset ! Find out what didn't happen after The Final Battle !" :D

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Funniest thing i heard today, find out what didnt happen after the final battle, lol !:D Yeah, i need the weekly series to complete my v collection on dvd too.I bet Ken Johnson will have the new movie air this May on a Sunday and Monday 2 parter.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to Johnson for taking this series in a "new" direction.

FOX: listen to Ridley Scott and do the same for ALIEN 5!!!!!!!!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Re-read my post carefully! :) I said that the new miniseries would ignore both the series AND the final battle!

The premise I heard is that it goes back to the end of the first miniseries, where they had set up the beacon to call for help from the enemy of the Leader of the Visitors. The other species comes to Earth finally, 20 years later, and helps the humans defeat the lizards. But at first all the action is taking place out of site of the human race, which is all but beaten except for the few Resistance fighters (Mike and Julie are back for this, natch) that are left.

The only three characters I've heard are for-sure back are Mike, Julie, and Diana. No word on Ham (Ironside) or Willie (Englund) yet.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
It makes sense that the story would continue after many years, considering the time necessary to travel to earth.

I don't believe the series allowed for faster than light travel, did it?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I was a big fan of the V series when it was aired, and was sorry to see it go. Both the news of a potential new mini-series and the possibility of the original series on DVD is exciting.
. No word on Ham (Ironside) or Willie (Englund) yet.
I don't know if they could work Ham in, since he wasn't introduced in the original, but in V: THE FINAL BATTLE. I hope they find a way, he was my favorite character. Personally, I don't think they should ignore the second mini-series. It was inferior to the first, but it was still pretty good. It did drop too many good plot threads from the original though.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I thought Robert Englund was confirmed to return. He mentioned in several recent interviews (just before and during the release of Freddy vs. Jason) that he'd love to return to it, and he seems to be staying on top of events with the project since he mentioned Kenneth working on the script. Kenneth Johnson himself mentioned Robert as one of the actors they had asked to return. So I'm sure he'll be back. I wouldn't mind seeing the black guy come back too.. the one that was a criminal, and then later owned a bar in the series. He's still acting, having been on HBO's Oz series.

I also have a problem with them ignoring the Final Battle, because then we don't know what happened with Robin's half-human/half-visitor child. She had sex with the visitor in the first miniseries and was obviously pregnant by the end of it, but she didn't give birth until the Final Battle. If they completely ignore the events of the Final Battle, then that's a major loose end that they have to explain with a whole new backstory in the new mini-series. I think the new mini-series should at least take into account SOME of the stuff that happened in the Final Battle, such as the starchild being born, the red dust, Ham Tyler, and the help from Martin and the 5th Column. Ignoring it completely is only going to piss off a lot of fans because that would create huge continuity flaws the likes of which we haven't seen since the Highlander sequels :)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
This was one series I enjoyed during its brief run on NBC in 1984-85. I recall seeing that third episode broadcast for the first time when the series went into reruns. It looked like, based on the end of #2 and the start of #4, that no time had really passed at all, because it picked up with Robin Maxwell on the run.

And somehow, I missed the episode with Charles and Diana getting married during the original run. I finally caught part of it many years later during the series' run on the Sci-Fi Channel, and from what I recall, the music for the selection sounded very familiar. Turned out that composer Dennis McCarthy borrowed the wedding music scene for the pilot episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, when Q made his appearance as the judge in the courtroom before Picard and his crew. But I still wound up missing that episode years later!

I wouldn't mind seeing this series on DVD. Not much could really be done with it, except for putting it on 5 discs, having some new bonus features including interviews and episode trailers, and that's about it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A) Right about Ham; I forgot when I wrote that post about his appearance in TFB and not before.

B) I simply hadn't heard about Englund...good news if he's aboard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks