What's new

"V: The Mini-Series" - repackaged & re-released? (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I've been thinking about picking up "V: The Mini-Series"" and "V: The Final Battle" (I have no interest in the TV series that followed). But I think I remember reading that the two mini-series will be re-packaged and re-released again with new footage and extras. Is there any truth to this? I completely forgot where I read this. But since they're making a new "V" mini-series (with most of the original cast), I was thinking that their might be some truth to the rumor. Or should I just buy the versions that's out now? Thanks. :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Last I hear the new mini series was "on hold" So if there is any truth to the rumor, you might be waiting for awhile.

The Original Mini Series has a couple of good extras. It has Commentary by Kenneth Johnson and a decent behind the scenes featurette. You can probably find it pretty cheap as well.

The Final Battle is bare bones, however.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just buy the versions that are out now. I have heard absolutely zero about any sort of re-release.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Joey or WillG,

I need some help with this series. I'm interested in getting these one but I'm a little confused :confused: about what the difrerence is between these DVD sets. I looked this up on Amazon and there's 3 listings:

V - THE ORIGINAL TV MINISERIES (1983)
V - THE COMPLETE SERIES (1984)
V - THE FINAL BATTLE (1984)

Are there any duplications between the 1st 2 series DVD sets? I remember viewing these when they originally aired but I haven't seen them since then.

Is the "Final Battle" a separate show apart from the other 2 DVD's?

BTW, I'm a Kenneth Johnson fan so the extra mentioned is something that makes the "buy" decision easy for me once I understand the above questions.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The "Complete Series" is the weekly television series that was on NBC following the success of the mini series. If you are looking only for the mini series, then you need the "Original TV Miniseries" and "The Final Battle."

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Jeff,
Cameron is right. The order of the three listings are as follows.

V- Original Mini Series
V- Final Battle
V- Complete Series

The Complete series isnt very good but some like it for cheese factor. The budget went down for the TV series and it shows.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Cameron, Matt, Joey, Will,

Thanks for the info! I'm ordering these next :cool:

What hung me up was the chronology of these 3 items. Now it makes sense :) I don't remember viewing the complete series during it's original airing back then. I remember the miniseries and I liked that one.

Thanks again! :emoji_thumbsup:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

One "extra" for these two releases, however, is that they are not presented in their fullscreen OAR but are cropped to a widescreen format. Johnson claims that widescreen is the OAR for the original mini-series, but I don't believe it for a minute. Foreign theatrical presentations are never the primary focus for something produced for American TV. Most likely, he was shooting "widescreen-safe" to avoid the severe cropping that happened when Universal decided to release "Galactica" theatrically.

Even if you consider Johnson's argument for widescreen on the first mini is valid (I do not), then what is the excuse for the second mini? Johnson did not direct that one.

I think one extra they should have included for the first mini would've been a short documentary on the tragic circumstances surrounding what happened to the "original" Robin, Dominique Dunne, who was murdered by her former boyfriend when she and David Packer were rehearsing for the second half of the first mini (she'd already completed work for part one).

I think her completed scenes should also have been shown, so we could see what might have been...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks