What's new

V - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Say what you will about the old show, and i bet i would agree with you! But damn, it did more in the first mini-series than this show has done, at all!
The thing, at least for me, is that Invasion stories don't really work as long drawn out things. I certainly think it's one reason that the V miniseries format worked while the weekly series didn't. How do you keep the story interesting over an indefinite length of time? I just becomes "the rebels destroy another bad guy supply shipment" or something that, week after week". With the original miniseries, there was frightening stuff happening almost immediately, the new show seems to unfold at a snail pace.

As far as the "stunt casting" of Jane Badler, I'm surprised it's taken this long to have one of the original actors show up. And on a side note, I think Badler was way hotter (at least until she put on a noticeable amount of weight) than Anna.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by WillG

I think Badler was way hotter (at least until she put on a noticeable amount of weight)

Yes, those guinea pigs are surpsingly fattening.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/abc-trims-v-order-to-10-episodes/

ABC Trims 'V' Order To 10 Episodes
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - October 18th, 2010

I hear the order of ABC's sophomore sci-fi drama V is being reduced from 13 to 10 episodes for scheduling reasons. ABC last week announced that V will return January 4 and will air in Dancing with the Stars' result show slot at 9 PM on Tuesdays, following fellow sci-fi drama No Ordinary Family. That gives V a 12-episode window until the spring season premiere of Dancing on March 29, but I hear the period is expected to include 2 preemptions, leading to V's order getting trimmed. Since the series is still filming, V producers will adjust the storyline for a proper season ending.

I haven't made up my mind on whether I'll continue with V in S2. It probably depends on what else is going on at 9 PM on Tuesdays during those weeks.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I'll continue to watch. You know, the "V" faithful have waited so long for the story to finally make it to the TV screen. Every now and then, I'd see interviews with the creators about their original vision, their attempt to bring it to the screen again, etc. Fans would clamor for either a new movie, miniseries, or series. It kind of snuck up on me that it was actually happening. Now it's here, and there are all kinds of problems, but for me it's not a bad show. I still have memories of the original TV show, and it's much slicker and more sophisticated than that one.

ABC can cell it what it wants, but the reality is they're cutting it back because the ratings aren't strong for this show. If they were strong, this cutback wouldn't happen; They'd be trying to figure out ways for more episodes. Still, as a viewer, I'm fine with getting 10 episodes instead of 13. But then, I'm used to watching BBC and premium cable series, which typically have shorter/tighter seasons.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Still, as a viewer, I'm fine with getting 10 episodes instead of 13. But then, I'm used to watching BBC and premium cable series, which typically have shorter/tighter seasons.

Those shows know the number of episodes that they're getting though. At this point in time, I'd imagine that the prodcuers of V are pretty close to episode 10 already so, through no fault of their own, there's a good chance that the stories in the last few episodes are going to feel like they're cramming 4 or 5 episodes into 2 or 3 episodes.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I was watching V in the first season, but it has been gone for so long I honestly lost interest. They did this to me with Jericho too. I don't understand why they do this. I am not sure if I will be picking back up with this one again. I've moved on to tother shows.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Only 10 episodes? Big deal - Doctor Who can do a rock solid (mostly) season in 13 episodes, so there's no reason that Hollywood cant do that too.

So is it back on the air yet? I've not been paying attention during the off season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tony J Case

Only 10 episodes? Big deal - Doctor Who can do a rock solid (mostly) season in 13 episodes, so there's no reason that Hollywood cant do that too.

Like I said before, it's not a big deal if you know that you have 13 or 10 or 6 or 2 episodes to tell your story when you start the year. However, when you're nearly done writing the season and they suddenly cut three episodes off (which is nearly 25% of the original amount of episodes that you had), it's a big deal.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Similarly, Caprica had its first-season episode order reduced from 18 to 17, but that was done in order to help balance out the show's budget, and the writers had plenty of advance warning (in fact, it was the option chosen by the showrunners, not the network, apparently).

But yeah -- if this cutback hurts the planned season-arc for this series, that blows serious goats.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Quote: ABC Trims "V" Order to 10 episodes.

Now it's more of a runway.

Bada boom.

oK not too funny. I tried.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by TravisR

there's a good chance that the stories in the last few episodes are going to feel like they're cramming 4 or 5 episodes into 2 or 3 episodes.

That would be a pleasant surprise. This show moves as slow as molasses. They did more in the original 4 hour miniseries than the new series has done in 10 episodes! Shoot, I didn't even watch the last 3 episodes that i had on my DVR for 3 months. I just got apathetic to the whole thing.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Like I said before, it's not a big deal if you know that you have 13 or 10 or 6 or 2 episodes to tell your story when you start the year. However, when you're nearly done writing the season and they suddenly cut three episodes off (which is nearly 25% of the original amount of episodes that you had), it's a big deal.

While I'll admit that the timing of dropping the episodes sucks, I'm still going to go with losing 25% of the story is a good thing. The first season was such a bloated, padded mess that they could easily dump 3 hours out of this thing and not skip a beat. Sure it's a rush job, but if they head back to the editing room, trim down the fat from early episodes and reorginize things, they should be fine.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching season one, and boy was I bored! Cue the crane shot of Anna on the ship. Maybe they'll show down her dress again. Yup. Cue the doctor walking around pensively. Maybe he'll talk to his glowing ball again. Yup. Cue the back and forth on where the teenage boy is going to live. Yup, it's whatever was the opposite of the previous week.

I liked the show, but it just isn't a show in the kind of league that I normally watch. I suspect I only kept watching because I liked the FBI agent when she was on Lost.

I'll resume watching the last half of the show (the upcoming episodes) only because of the new writers or new direction or whatever the rumors are.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Will_B

I'll resume watching the last half of the show (the upcoming episodes) only because of the new writers or new direction or whatever the rumors are.

I've decided to give up watching crappy shows in the hopes that they get better (like The Event) and I'm willing to give V another chance but it better get good fast.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

I've decided to give up watching crappy shows in the hopes that they get better (like The Event) and I'm willing to give V another chance but it better get good fast.

[/QUOTE]
The Event has been much better than V and in its last episode (before the hiatus) most of what has gone on before now makes sense.

MarkWK

Agent
So having seen neither the 1983 version of "V" nor the current version I have to ask, as I watched the pilot episode last night of this years "V". Which is the better series? The 1983 "V" or the 2009 "V". What is the general consensus?

Thanks,

Mark

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
V The Original Miniseries > V The Final Battle >>>>>>>>> V The Series >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> New V

That's my opinion anyway! ;) :)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I might get kicked in the head for this but I prefer the new version.

I still liked the original (83) mini-series, though.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
V for Vendetta first, then the old miniseries, then the new series -- and then way way behind is the old series, and the old Final Battle, neither of which were even any good for their time, let alone now. (Possibly the old miniseries sucks too, if I were to watch it now. But at the time it was nice.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks