1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

V ideogames being blamed for real-world violence.... again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Carra, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Did anyone see the report on CNN yesterday blaming videogames, namely 'silent scope' for the string of sniper killings? My first impression was like, come on, they can't be serious?! How many of you have played silent scope and said to yourself "gee, wouldn't this be cool in real life?" These videogame critics need to play Mario Sunshine a little more, methinks.

Marc.

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

no, mario eats mushrooms. he's the cause of drug addiction.

3. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

I think that the game Sniper: Path of Vengenace is responsible for a great many crimes in this country. If only for the fact that it exists and is on store shelves and not at the bottom of the ocean.

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Yeah well i love onimusha warlords and you dont see me going around with a sword chopping people up. Or see me wrestling in ladder matches like in Wrestlemania 2000 for N64, blowing people up from Team fortress/counterstrike and so on. Video games arent to blame for bad people. They were bad and crazy people before video games

capt

5. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Well not that I think posting here will change the mentalities of the people broadcasting this unproven fluff. There are a few things I’d love to argue back.
    A) There is a rating system in place to help parents protect their so called “easily brain washed by videogames” kids including a new rating system with a password in the Xbox…not a bad start to a trend I hope continues.
    B) I feel that violent games help people release their anger and need to do violence without having to go out and shoot someone. Venting frustration is important to stay healthy mentally and the violent video game is a great tool to do exactly that.
    People really need to start using their brains instead of coming up with the simplest excuse for all problems. The person /persons doing these shootings are doing it for a reason that we won’t know until they are caught…perhaps not even then, but guessing and broadcasting it as news is just flat out irresponsible. Shame on you CNN [​IMG]
    Dean

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Silent Scope teaching someone how to snipe? HAHHAHHHAHAHHAA

That's hilarious

7. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Ms. Pac-man is the cause of mothers not taking care of their children. Clearly has a child on act 3. What does she do afterwards? Run around and eat dots![​IMG]

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Actually, I'm a little surprised at this one. I'd think that they'd come down on GTA3 first, since it's much more popular, and I know that I've spent time in that game killing random people with a sniper rifle (it's fun to see what happens when you take off limbs etc). Can't people just be plain crazy these days?

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

10. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

The rating system is there for a reason, parents need to be more in tune with what there kids are purchasing from movies to games to music. I seriously doubt that silent scope is a big problem.

11. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    MSNBC blames Counter Stike in this video. [​IMG]

12. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

13. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

That is just such bullsh*t. Counterstrike made this assassin? My *ss.

Jeez. Why don't authorities look at more likely sources - like ex-swat people and the like. That's a LOT more likely than some person playing CS, thinking it's a good idea and going out and killing 9 people.

It would seem to me that this person isn't your garden variety crackpot - they would have been caught by now.

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I think the only thing video games could teach would be tactics to some extent, but the actual mechanics of aiming, firing, loading and reloading a rifle can't be taught through a game...hands on training is needed for that. Not to mention calming the nerves and breathing techniques.

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

16. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I actually run around carrying a bottle of holy water and a whip and am constantly looking for this guy named Dracula.

18. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I find it terribly amusing that the media must find a scapegoat for every situation, and unfortunately, video games and movies/TV often get the rap because they are readily available. Let's face it, games, movies and TV are not the problems here. The media and authorities need to realize that, despite their best efforts to share their personal wisdom with the cattle and steer all of us clear of the perpetual dangers of real life by taking away things deemed by themselves to be of little or no moral value, some people are just born with the silly-straw chromosome and, sooner or later, are gonna snap like a rubber band.

Do I play graphically violent games and watch movies depicting voilence, drug use, rape, etc...? Yes.

Am I gonna go out and do any of this because I saw it in a game or a movie? No.

Why? Because, as a rational responsible adult, I realize there are things that I should not do and there I make the choice not to do it based on moral beliefs.

The media and authorities say they wanna help? OK...how about not blaming everything you can't stop on harmless games and movies. Focus energy on solviong problems, not creating new ones by handing out scapegoat passes like they were cerdit card applications. Media actions such as this irritate me so badly and deeply that I'm gonna stop here before I end up saying too much and getting exiled from the Forum.

19. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

There are middle Eastern men running around as terrorists that I will bet NEVER logged one hour on a video game.
    Violence is NOT CAUSED by video games. It may feed a direct desire inherent in an individual but video games do not create mean people or create violent people.
    As far as this being a military person, has anyone ever really been through basic military training? Or been in actual battle? These things do not make one more cavalier about violence but have more awareness.
    There is a certain horror involved in violent acts that cannot be desensitized by a video game that even compares to a violent act in real life. Passing the blame on movies and games is a cop-out.

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I quit getting mad over this kind of thing and decided to be content at pointing and laughing at all the fools.