What's new

V for Vasectomy... (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
It's time for me to do this. Has anyone else been through the proceedure and can give my any insight and warnings? (How about bad jokes?) Anything I should ask about during the initial interview/exam?
Thanks for your help during these troubling times. ;)

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I had it done and it was not a pleasant experience. On the other hand most people I have spoken to have not had a problem. One guy I know went out to dinner that evening. I like to figure that I had more pain because more surface area was involved. I remember reading the pamphlet they give you and there is fine print regarding complications and it said something like one percent experience the following problems. I was definitely a one percenter. I never went back for the follow up test. My reasoning was that if it didn't work I certainly wasn't going to let Conan the Urologist get hold of my nads again. It's been 6 years so I guess it worked.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
EVERY one I know.... including myself was not all that content with the after effects. In the 3 Great Lies trilogy...this ranks #1. In reverse order they are:
1. Checks in the mail.
2. Car will be done tuesday.
3. Vasectomy's are simple and easy procedures.
If I had to do it over again..not so sure I would.
However...the ability to go bare back has SOME merit!!!!:D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Dan,
The last thing I want to do is discourage you, but my comments are simular to Tom & Scooters.
I had some fairly uncomfortable swelling and at the time was involved in homebuilding. Picture me sort of bowlegged moving slowly about the job for a few days. The fault was probably mine, that's the closest I've come to any surgery and I was still young enough to think I was bulletproof. So, when they say use an icepack, maybe you might consider USING AN ICEPACK. :b
I would do it again, it's fun to be a big stud shooting blanks.:D
Jim

RogerB

Second Unit
No horror stories here. The injection was the worst followed by the odor produced when the Doc cauterized stuff. Everything else was OK. I used an ice pack for a few hours, went out to dinner that night. Had some bruising that faded in a few days.
For some detailed pictures and explanations of the procedure go to www.my-vasectomy.com (IT'S NOT ME!).

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I had it done and it really wasnt bad at all. I didnt swell up but it was pretty sore for a few days and I couldnt walk normally for about a week.
One thing I noticed is that they say you shouldnt be able to tell anything was done a few weeks after the procedure but it was more like a couple of months for me. It really only painfully reminded me when I was physical like playing sports and bedroom sports :) Let me tell you there are some bedroom positions that are worse than others for being a little rough on your sore little "buddies". Missionary position isnt the best because of the swinging action that occurs if you know what I mean. Let her be on top for the first few times because there is far less movement for your "friends". Sorry to get a little graphical (probably far more information than you wanted to know about me) but you will want to know this information before you try it!
All in all, I say go for it!

Dan M~

Second Unit
Damn Roger!! I didn't need to see that!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Thanks for the link.:)
Thanks to everyone else for the comments. One question, do you need to shave? From navel to knees? The link RogerB gave didn't mention it (that I saw, I didn't hang around for long). Seems the operation is more common then I thought.
Thanks again for "sharing". The best to all of you.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
You will need to shave the area but my wife and I made a "night" of it :D
(Again, more information than you probably wanted or needed)

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
I had it done over 25 years ago. A couple of days of mild discomfort. Just don't ride home in a sports car after the procedure.

ToddS

Stunt Coordinator
I did not have to shave. The biggest problem was the harrassment from the nurse who seemed to really like her job. I was a little tender for a couple of days but I think is worth it for not having to worry about having anymore children. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but another one would put me over the edge :D

RogerB

Second Unit
They didn't tell me to shave but my doc shaved me (just the scrotum) and it wasn't painful.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Snip snip here, snip snip there, and a couple of tra-la-las...that's how we cut the vas deferens in the merry old land of Oz

Dan,

I had it done several years ago, and it was nothing at all. I hung out that evening, watching TV; next morning, I was out mowing the lawn. Just a little soreness, nothing to write home to mama about.

My urologist gave me a 10mg Valium to take beforehand just to help relax me. You might want to suggest this if it has not been offered.

Best of luck - let us know how it turns out!

Jon

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Mine was a bit discomforting, but no big problems... Not a big deal, I'm more nervous about having my wisdom teeth out !

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I was going to go for it after my third child. However, said child was then delivered by emergency C-section, and 'while they were in there' we had them give the wife a tubal ligation.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Some of these reports are hilarious. I might add though, after reading some of the descriptions I'm glad I'm not in the market at this time for the big V.
My favorite V story...a co-worker had the procedure done after his wife agreed to give up smoking. Well, you can imagine what happened...she's smoking two packs a day and he's shooting blanks from now on. :laugh: Oh yeah, they're now divorced.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Note** I have not had this done but I have had a couple of friends and my father who had it done so I got to hear all their experiences.
First the reason for getting it is that you either dont want kids or you dont want anymore kids right? (Usually the latter) So taking some pain now may be more important to you then another 18 years of pain ;)
So I would say that if you are trying to prevent your little ones from doing their job then this is the best way to get it done without having to buy condoms or other devices the rest of your life.
Now on to the horror stories :D
With my Dad he decided to have the procedure done when my mom was 6 months pergnant with me and he had the procedure done. Now after you get the procedure done you get to come back in and retest to make sure you arnt still producing sperm (basically your tubes reconnected to each other) Now in my dad's case they did and he had to go back in to get the procedure done again. Now if that wasnt enough when I was born there were complications (Placenta previa) among other things and my mom had to have a full Hysterectomy. Talk about DOH!
Really bad part is that my best friend had this exact same thing happen to him over 20 years later when we grew up except that his wife didnt have to have a Hysterectomy
And the worst one was another friend I have had a visectomy (note that he isnt the brightest fellow) But before the procedure he was told to shave his nuts. Him, being scared that he would cut something, thought hey there has to be a better way and he used Nare Hair remover. Well to make a long story short it just wasnt very pretty what happened
:frowning: He then had to follow in the footsteps of the above 2 instances and his wife had a full Hysterectomy. Talk about a double DOH.:angry:
Now when it comes time for me to make that decision it is still a lot safer for the man to get his area fixed then a women and its better sometimes then the alternative. Also EVERY single one of them said to take a couple of days off from work and rent some movies with an Ice pack between the legs.
KyleS

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
(squirms in chair)

I have a question. Is it (or is it not) the sperm that produces the sensation? If the tubes are cut, what is left to produce that sensation? Do things go back to normal a few days/weeks later as far as feeling the same sensations as before the procedure. Forgive the questions if they are dumb.

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
One thing to add is that I was very scared the "first time" after. Because of all the pain and swelling (despite tons of ice) I was afraid to "let go" fearing something might blow up. My wife always makes the comment, as many women do, that men would never be able to withstand the pain of childbirth. I used my vasectomy to prove to her that a vasectomy is much more painful than childbirth. After the first child she had two more and there's no way I would undergo that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks