V-Day ideas--Men Unite!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Hunter P, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I'm stumped for a Valentine's Day present. If you listen to commercials it seems that jewelry is the ONLY present to give on Val's Day. I want something cool and unique. Any ideas?

Here's my contribution: I gave my honey a Luna Candle last year. (Got the idea from a HTF post last year.[​IMG] ) I got the pink glass jar and it was a big hit.[​IMG]

2. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

how about a massage bar or Bubble bar slice from Lush

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i gave her a $4700 engagement ring on january 5 so she's assed out for v-day this year. maybe some flowers and a nice dinner the following saturday? i have a class on v-day that goes until 8 p.m. and i'm working at my internship on mon., wed., thurs., and fri. as well as at my full-time job all the week as well.

kevin t

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Kevin wins!

PS: gift certificate to Curves a bad idea.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My wife and I decided not to get eachother anything.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

We gave each other an Ipod Video.

Usually though we don't go that far out for V-Day.

Going out to dinner on V-Day is a nightmare and I recommend everyone avoids doing that especially a new place. Those 2 things combine for a disaster evening.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

A simple card and a chocolate rose from me will do just fine.

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Dammit...the thread title led me to believe we were invading somewhere.

Anyway, I'm officially ass-broke (just started working again this week), so I'll have to actually DO something for Jennifer as opposed to buying something. I was thinking of a sensual massage [​IMG]

9. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

And you think that lets you off the hook for Valentine's Day? Hoo boy...[​IMG] You and I both think that this is perfectly reasonable, but women are an entirely different bag, man. Cheers.

DS.

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Can't go wrong with sexy, sexy underwear.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Hoo boy is right, but my wife’s case, the opposite way. She’s be PISSED if I blew 4700 bucks on a ring, or anything comparable on Valentine’s Day.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    True, I got a slew of Victoria's Secret stuff back in January.

Of course, you cannot go wrong with chocolate either...(courtesy of our Testy51 bros).

[​IMG]

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

(hungry for chocolate now!)

14. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

Can you cook? A romantic, candle-lit dinner that you made yourself would be just the ticket. I think that's what I'm gonna do, especially considering I have strict instructions not to get my wife anything. She means it, too.

15. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

She's lying. It's a trap.

16. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Whatever you do, don't watch Sunrise!! My wife focused on the "husband wants to murder his wife so he can take off with the mistress" bits and totally missed the redemption. In retrospect, it really wasn't the best choice when my wife told me to pick out a romantic movie for us to watch.

We don't really do gifts either. A rose and a card is standard. My wife has her own jewelry business and hates massages/spas. Plus her birthday is the 16th so I'm scrambling enough already.

Gifts after marriage are weird because it's all "our" money. I never know what to buy so I always panic, spend too much, and then my wife ends up returning the gift and getting something less expensive. Works for me. [​IMG]

17. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

"My wife and I decided not to get eachother anything. -Ron.P"

Oh no man, you didn't fall for that one did you? Now she doesn't need to do anything for you, but ... women are like Paulie from Goodfellas with Valentine's Day (totally ruthless):

Had a bad day? F' you, present me!

Car lit on fire? F' you, present me!

Mother died? F' you, present me!

Personally, I just give it up and get the card/flowers/chocolate/whatever. We will not be truly enlightened though until men get a "Steak & BJ" day officially on the calendar. I'm not holding my breath...

18. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Amen.

Could you imagine the Halmark cards for that holiday? No? Exactly, we wouldn't need any cards with that.

My wife said to me that all she wants this year is a card. And not just any card, but "one that expresses exactly how I much I love her". Great. The quest for the Holy Grail begins. Needle, meet Haystack. Haystack, meet Needle. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife immeasurably, but reading though tons of V-Day cards trying to find just the right one is brain damaging.

20. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

This is what I had hoped for for Valentines Day. The girlfriend was not happy at the suggestion. Oh well. I was at least able to convince her not to buy me a card. I hate greeting cards.