What's new

"V"-aspect ratio (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is it true that the director of "V" shot with a 1.85:1 ratio in mind in 1983...even though widescreen televisions were years away? Does the dvd look better in this ratio than the original broadcast?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Is it true that the director of "V" shot with a 1.85:1 ratio in mind in 1983?
Yes, he even mentions this in the commentary cause he thought the film would get an international theatrical release like other miniseries (ex: Salem's Lot). The transfer on the DVD is great and it's the best V has ever looked.
I can't wait to see V: The Final Battle in anamorphic widescreen.

M

MaxY

V Looked great on DVD in Widescreen. I can't wait for the next installment which I think is due soon.

Not sure why the director filmed both ways but maybe he was just a visionary.

Max

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't think V was ever shown theatrically, but the plan was in place. Apparently it was continued for "The Final Battle", which also was not shown theatrically. Ken Johnson had significantly less to do with Final Battle though. Hopefully it sells well as I'd love WB to release "The Series". I'm sure by the time the series rolled out, they were back to 4:3. At the time it was one of the most expensive series ever made, but too much network tinkering created a waterred down product and eventual cancellation.

Still love to own it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks