Uwe Boll - KOing critics

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Greg_R, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
  2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I heard he wanted to do that, didn't realize they went through with it. I guess he should get props for winning 4 matches, but his movies still suck and should be banned from any video game adaptation.

LOL [​IMG]

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    If he'd just make a good film, that would shut everyone up all at once, rather than beating them down one at a time.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I hate tyo admit it, but he is getting better. HOTD was, IMHO, the worst theatrically released movie ever. AITD was confusing and stupid, but the camera was pointed in the correct direction most of the time. BR, before its headscratcher of an ending was just a regularly bad movie. At this rate Uwe Boll will make an OK movie by 2009!

PS: What was the deal with Bloodrayne's 5 minute bloodsoaked flashback interlude?

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Apparently, he made it out to the critics that it was just a publicity stunt and he'd go easy on them and only told them he was going to be fighting for real at the last moment. Sort of cheap, in my book.

6. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Also, there was a story about how a real critic (not a web critic) who actually had boxing experience offered to go toe to toe with Uwe but he refused. As someone pointed out in another discussion he would would have done far better to challenge reviewers to a filmmaking competition. Or spend his time going back to film school for a brush up. A refresher, if you will.

I have never watched his movies and don't intend to start but why are they so bad? Are they bad in a good way (like old slasher pics) or bad in an Ed Wood sort of way?

7. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

This is an extremely humorous development. I hope this means Boll has a sense of humor and is aware of his films' relative quality.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    BloodRayne is the only Boll movie I've seen, and it is just bizarrely, comically bad. The casting is a real hoot. I actually watched it a second time a few months later. Plus, it does have a very nice pair of moments.

9. Josh.C

Josh.C Second Unit

Uwe Boll is an idiot.

10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I don't think that's what it means at all. I think he's really pissed off at the critics - why else would he trick them and fight them when he promised to make this a simple publicity stunt? I don't think he has any sense of humor about his flicks at all...

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    His defense seems to be that they're horror flicks and they're supposed to be bad.

He said something like, It's "House of the Dead." What are you expecting? "Schindler's List"?

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I agree. I mean a 17 year old in the mix, is that even legal?

Sorry, but skipping guys with legit talent to go after easy pickings when any result has zero to do with the fact that you are a talentless hack in terms of filmmaking only proves the point more.

I literally hated him after watching HOTD, it was that awful. It was like Ed Wood except if Ed got some money and still kept making those same terrible choices (which IMO would probably have been how it went if he had gotten decent financing).

It's not just story issues either. In fact its mostly directorial choices. His shot selection and staging is just painfully amateurish, and this is made worse when he tries to actually ape the presentation style of the video game itself (if you saw Doom then think about it's horrible ending).

13. Mattias Stridsman

Mattias Stridsman Stunt Coordinator

Mattias
    Here's a very amusing report from Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka about his impressions from the set of Boll's upcoming flick "Postal" among other things. Sounds absolutely crazy. For instance:

You can read the whole thing here: http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=4120

(Part II will cover his fight with Uwe.)

14. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

That was really funny. It does make you feel kinda bad for the people actually working on the movies.

15. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Uwe Boll.

Currently adapting: "Connect Four."

Followed by: "Tetris -- The Movie."

That cast is unbelievable -- Doktor Boll is like the Robert Altman of bottom-feeders. (God, from David Lean to Uwe Boll. How Geraldine Chaplin has fallen...)

I look forward to every Uwe Boll flick with serious anticipation. They're hilarious. They're also resounding nails hammered into the coffin of the idea that films based on games can be good. I hate flicks based on video games, and anything Uwe can do to further their decline, I'm all for it.

Though, I think you all have Uwe wrong. I think he's like the German Andy Kaufman. All of these terrible movies, dumb interviews, and general marketing fuckups are precisely calculated stabs of genius humor.

As for the "Kick Uwe Boll's Ass" fight-promotion, the guys over at AICN should be the only ones handling this thing. Harry, you red-headed fucker, get *sumo* on his ass. Have Quint take him on, Octagon-style. Hell, *all* of AICN should take him on, each with a different fighting style/technique. Or everyone on HTF, for that matter. Which one of you geeks is the ninja? I could see Moriarty going all Savate on Boll -- a baguette in one hand, a glass of merlot in the other.

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Uwe's just sour somebody ruined Wing Commander before he could. [​IMG]

17. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I can't wait for him to turn Diner Dash into a softcore movie about a waitress willing to do anything to keep her restaurant open.

Wonder what he would do with Betty's Beer Bar...