Uurgggg! Accidentally purchased the "full-frame" A.I. at CC!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Mar 16, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I know ultimately no one is to blame here but me. I arrived five minutes before closing, and a salesman was rushing me. Anyway, I am wondering why the hell Dreamworks produced a pan and scan version of this widescreen film anyway. This is a new film for cripes sake! I am still discturbed by the fact that studios produce full-frame versions of widescreen films in this age of DVD/HDTV and 16 x 9 enhancement. As a director, I would never allow this (considering I had the power to stop it) to happen to one of my films. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to up and exchange it tomorrow.[​IMG]
    Reg

2. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

That's nothing!
    I bought "Lost Highway" from dvdboxoffice. Turns out it's p&s. There was no notice of this on the site. Sending it back would cost about as much as the R2 wide-screen version I can buy at my local freerecord shop.
    [​IMG]
    (It does show that Spielberg is in it for the money, doesn't it. Not that we didn't already know this...)

3. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Did exactly the same thing. Took it back the very next day and exchanged for one of the only two widescreen copies left. Heck, they were the only two left.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I was going to buy it at my local grocery, but they only had the pan & scan version.

This has to be the most foolish thing Dreamworks has ever done. I asked the store if they have sold any of the DVD's or rented them out and they said "not yet." It's just as pointless as Fox releasing a full frame version of Cast Away.

5. Scott Petoff

Scott Petoff Extra

DELETED ACCOUNT
    I was pretty close to doing the same thing myself. I assumed there was only one version. There needs to be a big obvious sticker if they release two versions.
    Actually this was the first time I went shopping at Circuit City in probably a couple of years. I'm sort of boycotting Best Buy now due to their crappy exchange policy. They wouldn't give me a new copy of The Empire of the Sun since mine was defective because it took me more than 30 days to watch the movie and find out.
    Anyway I headed over to CC after work, it took me 15 minutes just to pay for AI along with Say Anything. If they had been quick at the register I wouldn't have had time to even notice. So while I got the right version, CC once again proved to me to be a terrible place to shop. Why should I have to seek out a person to pay for a product? What kind of store would risk losing a sale like that? OK enough of my ranting [​IMG]

6. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Hey Scott,

How did you actually get to walk within 30 feet of the DVD section without being surrounded with helpful employees (who want their commission). I've also attempted to shop at CC because of Best Buy (un)wonderful extended warranty. Although I do seem to end up there from time to time.

Hey speaking of AI, I got the widescreen version and was wondering from anyone who saw it at the theater, if the DVD is in the correct aspect ratio. A couple of scenes I noticed where it looks like you should be able to see more of the picture include:

1.The first scene, when a guy on the left hand side of the screen asks the standing guy a question, Half of his head is cut off.

2.The first shot of the Flesh Fair sign The F and R at the beginning and end is cut off.

3.When David is walking in the robot lab between all those boxes, you can't read the full name of the female robot box on the left.

7. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

This happened to me also, except I bought mine at Wal-Mart. I only noticed just as I was slicing open the shrinkwrap on one end....thank goodness I didn't fully open it.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me....I also wrongfully assumed that there would certainly be only one version of this film released to DVD.

To my additional horror, when I called the store to ask if they had any of the Widescreen versions in stock (this question caused such confusion to the first salesperson I asked that I had to speak to another one!), I was told "no, we don't have of those, we only have the Full Screen and there are only 2 of those left...I don't think we'll get any of the widescreen versions".

Pissed beyond belief that I could have made this mistake in the first place, I waited several days and finally got around to returning the DVD...lo and behold the DVD section at Walmart was packed with the Widescreen versions...there was not a FUll screen version to be found!

JOn

8. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

9. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

[sarcasm]Did you buy the 10 year extended service plan that will allow you to bring the disc back in the event that something may happen to the disc that will not be covered by the manufacturers warranty?![/sarcasm]

10. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

It isn't surprising to see many here have had the same pathetic experience. I find it interesting that Spielberg refuses to do audio commentaries for "artistic" reasons, but has no beef about "formatting his films to fit your screen." I have never personally ever placed Spielberg in the pantheon of many other great film-makers for this very reason - His uncanny ability to pander exclusively to the masses at any expense. I will probably tell the salesman when I return it that the disc simply won't play in my player, and cross my fingers that they have widescreen versions available. You would at THE VERY LEAST think that the full-screen version of a widescreen film would be the one hard to find, not vice versa.

Reg

P.S. - Make sure you all sign Rain's petiton to Columbia on releasing certain titles in full frame ONLY.

11. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Reggie-- you could just tell them that you bought the full-frame one by accident and want the widescreen edition, that would probably work.

12. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Guy. I'm sure it will, but I just didn't want to take any chances.

Reg

13. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If I had a rubber hose!!

(hint... think Christmas Vacation)

Dan

14. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

AI has a fullscreen banner on the front of the box. How hard is it to read the front of the box before purchasing?

15. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

16. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I am sorry but it never ceases to amaze me why it bothers so many that studios release both widescreen and full frame versions of films. Just buy the widescreen version and be done with it! Many people prefer the full frame versions. Get over it! [​IMG]

17. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Go to Walmart and tell them it doesn't have those cool black bars you wanted.
    I did that after buying "Remember the Titans" from them which has a widescreen banner on the WS release, but the P&S has absolutely nothing on it. If you weren't expecting 2 separate releases, then you easily could have picked up the P&S of that title and not know it until you played it. [​IMG]
    Note to Dreamworks:
    Butcher the cover of the P&S really bad. Put some Shrek stickers on there, let the employees' kids scribble on it, etc. I want to know from first sight to avoid it. Keep the widescreen titles free of this stuff. Perhaps putting an insult or two on the P&S would be nice, "For Those Who Only Care About 2/3 of the Movie." [​IMG]

18. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I bought the full-screen version of The Mummy Returns by accident. I was pretty pissed, but I took back the next day and all was right with the world again.

19. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Tell them the disc is defective: it's missing 30% of the picture.
    [​IMG]

20. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'm trying to find a hypnotist who can directly affect my subconscious, so that every-time I'm about to accidently buy a P&S movie I get horrible visions of people cutting-off my legs so I can fit into a 4:3 box.
    After a few times of screaming in the middle of FYE ,my only local DVd-retailer (besides Wal*Mart, who carry a crappy selection anyway), My brain will train itself to look for the blatant "This feature is Full Screen (you sucker)" sticker on top of the DVD case.
    Luckily I have successfully returned all my P&S titles, except for The Secret of N.I.M.H. Which I do not believe is available in OAR [​IMG]