What's new

Utilizing Plex Media Server with Aeon Skin, need some help (1 Viewer)

dmoney74

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hi all, I have a media room with a nice sound set up and a bunch of dvds and BD's that I'd like to make digital to get with the times. I have downloaded PMS onto my HP Laptop and now have figured out how to get the media content uploaded. Now I'd like to get my content accessible in my media room. I have a PS3 but I've come to find out that the ui is dull with the folder systems. My ending goal is to have an Aeon skin with all my content but not sure how to get there? I'm not tech savvy so I'm not good with some of the acronyms or language used in other threads, I'm a newbie pls forgive me.
1.) I don't want to leave my laptop on 24/7 so is there a way that I can still stream content w/o my computer being on, its the only one I have and don't want to burn it up? i.e. an external hard drive that will stay on 24/7 that has all the content that maybe can stream through my router?? I'll take recommendations on what external hard drive to buy bc I still need to buy one.
2.) Once I get my content streaming what hardware do I use to make it available in my media room, excluding my ps3 bc it lacks character? i.e. Roku, ATV?? Again my goal is to have Aeon as the skin so what hardware would support such an interface?? Again I'm a newbie so hopefully there is a user friendly way.
I look forward to ALL the help and suggestion I can get on this, thank you!!

kathy13xia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kathy Xia
First of all, you should check the video type of your media because now all files can be uploaded and streamed to portable devices from PMS. I would say MP4 or MKV, MP4 is my first choice for streaming videos from PMS to my iPad.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Regarding the laptop being on all the time, yes it must be on for pms to work. I think you can run from nas but im not sure how to do this.

I just bought a Alienware Alpha to use as my media server. I have 2 ext hard drives. One for media and my back up. Im gonna set it up tonight and I will get back here with my results. Seems like a solid small form pc. Not really interested in the steam part of the pc.

Go with Western Digital drives, run from Seagate.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
EarleD said:
Regarding the laptop being on all the time, yes it must be on for pms to work. I think you can run from nas but im not sure how to do this.

I just bought a Alienware Alpha to use as my media server. I have 2 ext hard drives. One for media and my back up. Im gonna set it up tonight and I will get back here with my results. Seems like a solid small form pc. Not really interested in the steam part of the pc.

Go with Western Digital drives, run from Seagate.
I'll be interested to hear how that works out for you. I need to do something other than running PMS from my aging desktop so please let us know.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks